Some kit questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys

I've found a couple of 32 hole fixed hubs so I wanted to ask whether people thought they would be worth building into a wheel for a commuter. I weigh100kg:ohmy: so wil the resulting wheels be strong enough or should I wait until I find some 36 hole hub (or would 34 hole do too ;))

If 32 is strong enough, what rims do people suggest? Wheels would be 700s.

I commute 75-100 miles a week carrying some kit and have a "robust" riding style over some rough roads.

Thanks for input and suggestions.

Canrider

Guru
Will do a quick search and get back to you..obviously YMMV on whatever I find..

Here's a thread: bikeforums to the rescue!
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-39208.html

I note one 270lb rider speaking well of 32hole Open Pro's. CXP33 seems to get quite a few look-ins in my brief glance.

Hope that helps!

skwerl

The Goldtec/Openpro combo is way string enough for you.
Mine have been commuting daily through London for 3 years now and are as true as the day they were built (by Condor)

GrahamG

Guru
I'm close to 90kg and use 32 hole cxp33's - big improvement over MA3's in terms of holding true and also flex (no more brake block scraping whilst honking!), built by the same person.

OP
OP
T
skwerl said:
The Goldtec/Openpro combo is way string enough for you.
Mine have been commuting daily through London for 3 years now and are as true as the day they were built (by Condor)

Yes but I don't want string :blush:
Thanks for input guys. Someone bought the hubs whilst I was dithering, so probably saved me from having another "project" on the go in the cellar.

romans

I have built up 32 and 36 CPX33 sets, and an Open Pro, and they true up very quickly and stay that way. I am 85 kg though and the CPX33 will stand your weight. I build my own using stainless steel DB.

Top Bottom