Some MTB thoughts, and other ramblings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
'Tis true. I too am a lover of the old. Trouble is, this is probably why I only go mountain biking once or twice a year. With advancing years, it just all hurts too much to make me want to go.

Hands and fingers from braking; I have to book my brakes a week in advance, forearms and especially shoulders from the constant battering a rigid bike offers.

Not to mention knees! And this is if I don't fall off!

I tried a full suspension bike back in the 90s, a GT RTS I think. It showed promise. I wonder if they have got any better? I might have to give discs and forks that offer more than 35mm travel as well.

A modern full suss is a joy compared to late 90's early 2000's tech they are smooth to ride and great on a climb. 1 finger and very little pressure can produce more stopping power than you need.

I used to love the old RTS's but they are in a different league compared to these days.

A modern full suss is a joy compared to late 90's early 2000's tech they are smooth to ride and great on a climb. 1 finger and very little pressure can produce more stopping power than you need.

I used to love the old RTS's but they are in a different league compared to these days.

This. I recently purchased a new MTB. Wasnt cheap but the brakes are outstanding. Little pressure provides a lot of power.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Those advances mentioned continue almost unabated. Some are doubtless gimmicks, or trickle-down from competition to leisure use, but MTBing is a sector where some people enjoy spending money on "must-haves" , and on the opposite side of the coin there are folk who enjoy riding what they have on terrain that suits them and their bike.

If I were to be pressed into an opinion, I would hail good quality air sprung suspension as the one thing that stands out over the last few years. Frame geometry compliments good suspension, they tend to go hand in hand, and I have a preference for slack bikes with 140/150 shocks and forks, simply because they work with what I want to do. A fork which can be adjusted to suit the rider, the bike and the terrain in spring rate, but more especially in terms of rebound damping makes all the difference up front. Trails round here vary between rocky and steep and rutted and choppy, so long, forgiving but most importantly well damped fork makes all the difference between stuttering your way down a slope and allowing the bike to flow.

My full suss bike is a joy to ride. I'm not a very confident rider over huge drops or gaps, quite the opposite, so a mid travel and plush bike, with geometry that allows me to carry speed over what some would consider mild, even mincing terrain is what floats my boat. Think Llandegla red and black mix.... fun and furious if you push it, but hardly world cup stuff.

Add quality, affordable brakes from any of Shimano's range, and sticky, tubeless rubber on rims that are light and take a battering if you get it wrong, and you've got a great weekend warrior formula.

Top Bottom