Some of Buckinghamshire is flat - 29th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
It's high time I put a ride up on here, so without wanting to clash with any FNRttCs, let's go for Sunday 15th September.
Start/finish: Berkhamsted train station (London Midland 40minutes out of Euston)
Time: 10-ish (but happy to vary this)
Distance: 60-ish
The first 40 miles are pretty flat along reasonably large quiet roads (only a short stretch of the A413), along Chesham Vale, over the Wigginton ridge to Tring, Cheddington, Whitchurch, Waddesdon, Stone. It's fast - I did up to this point in about 2½ hours when I reccied it. And the tarmac is better than a lot of Bucks (which isn't saying much, I concede).
It then climbs steadily for about the next ten miles to Wendover Woods, where the tea stop at the (claimed) highest point in the Chilterns is worth it, I promise. It's then all downhill to Berko again.
Trying to find a lunch stop at the moment, I skipped lunch when I reccied it, but let's see how large the group becomes.
I'll put up the route when I can work out how to do it.
Any takers?

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I've have been up for this but am already doing the London Sightseer audax with himself that day. Shame really as we've friends in Berkhamstead and it would have been the perfect excuse to go up there.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Can't do this... gah!
13th is FNRttC to Southend and wouldn't be fair to be out Friday night, Saturday and Sunday.

martint235

Dog on a bike
If it's moved away from the FNRttC and I'm not on call, I'd like to come along. Will probably cycle up. May get a train back.

OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

OK, probably taking a risk with the weather, but how about Sunday 29th September? That way it also doesn't clash with Reading-Lymington.
If the consensus is good - Mods - could the thread title be changed, please?

StuartG

slower but further
Will you being doing this on the Brompton with three gears locked down? 40 miles in 2.5 hours is a bit fresh for me.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I'd like to explore 1 of the poorer shires :biggrin: so could you put me down please not fussed about the date.

OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

Will you being doing this on the Brompton with three gears locked down? 40 miles in 2.5 hours is a bit fresh for me.
It doesn't have to be that fast at all, SG. On a lovely Sunday July morning, it was hard to resist putting my foot down. In fairness, there are also a couple of long 40+mph descents in that section.

OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

Is that climb to the Wendover tea stop the one we did through the forest last year @CharlieB? I might be up for this, as long as the weather doesn't turn nasty by then.
Indeed it is, TMN. But trust me, the first 40 miles are gleeful!

The downside is there aren't too many bailout points, as Dr. Beeching decreed that those rich North Buckos didn't need trains, and thus nearly all the railways in the area went in the 1960s.

Top Bottom