Some tips please... newbies to tandem touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Yes, there are some train companies which will accept tandems. We've taken ours on Southern and Southeastern officially, and also on London Underground with the tolerance of station staff at Kings Cross. We've also taken advantage of a very quiet station and a very quiet driver-only train to smuggle it on our local Chiltern Railways services, even though there isn't really room.

But both our tandems have S&S couplings, so it's a matter of seconds or a couple of minutes (one takes slightly longer than the other) to turn a seven-foot monster into two normal-length bits if an on-train employee gets shirty. That's happened before now.

OP
OP
oliver

oliver

I know it's not on the list of go to bikes but I've potentially been offered a Viking disc equipped MTB based tandem, it's well within budget so I'd be able to swap and upgrade a few parts.

Anyone got any experience with these as tourers?

Thanks!

View media item 9741Not disc, and not the lightes, but a really great fun machine!
I would have one again in a heartbeat.
We had no issues for 4 years, and did a few hundred miles, mostly on local 20 ish mile rides, and the. The stoker wanted her own steering, so we changed to hybrids.
Don't discount Vikings, they're fine, imo.

Top Bottom