Somebody made an expensive mistake...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
pretty damn rare then

not sure wrong type of spark plug would cause something like this normally?
so easy just to read numbers and letters of old plug and go on ebay and get a set of new ones for a tenner, done it many times for so many vehicles and it can turn a non-runner into a beautiful runner
Cheers Ed

I know very little about the construction of cars, but I'd have thought a spark going off in the wrong place or at the wrong time next to a series of explosions would be pretty devastating?

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I think they always did have a reputation for spitting fuel back through the carburettors and setting fire to themselves.

young Ed

Veteran
I know very little about the construction of cars, but I'd have thought a spark going off in the wrong place or at the wrong time next to a series of explosions would be pretty devastating?
no it wouldn't be good i will say that and timing the engine wrong (setting when the spark plug goes off in the engines cycle and in relation to the other cylinders in a nut shell but not needed on modern engines with computers and injection and all) would mean the spark going off at the wrong time and would cause the engine to run very badly if at all.

could have been they didn't set the gap correctly (a spark plug works by passing a current through a pair of electrodes not quite touching to create an electrical arc and you have to manually set the gap between these electrodes) could create a problem if they are too close or even touching.

could be whilst running a plug came lose or a valve (valves letting fuel and air in an exhaust gasses out) may have failed and petrol could have leaked out evaporated and caught fire next the hot engine.

all just theories and of course none of them are carefully thought through!
Cheers Ed

t

not sure wrong type of spark plug would cause something like this normally?
so easy just to read numbers and letters of old plug and go on ebay and get a set of new ones for a tenner, done it many times for so many vehicles and it can turn a non-runner into a beautiful runner
Cheers Ed
Some years ago my friend and I were bombing along a road in Somerset in his E-Type Jag, when two Spark plugs blew out and made two big hole in the bonnet, dammed expensive, as the Bonnet had to be replaced and the Cylinder head had to be re-tapped and helo-coiled and of course there was the transport of the car back home some 150 miles.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Screenshot_2014-12-12-22-45-53.png

A screenieof the link. Value your scrap car.. How apt!!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Who gives a toss about him or his car! Do you think he'd be bothered if one of you had your bike nicked or mangled?!:thumbsdown:

young Ed

Veteran
Some years ago my friend and I were bombing along a road in Somerset in his E-Type Jag, when two Spark plugs blew out and made two big hole in the bonnet, dammed expensive, as the Bonnet had to be replaced and the Cylinder head had to be re-tapped and helo-coiled and of course there was the transport of the car back home some 150 miles.
my dad was in a university mini bus being driven by a rather wreck less student a bit too fast along the motorway and BOOM! he blew a plug out the head, surprisingly no damage AA just came out and replaced plug and they were off again
heard about them but not seen one in real life, not sure how much they cost but i prefer the masseys and JD's in any case JD's are probably the most popular currently
Cheers Ed

Something to bear in mind, there only being 150 made makes them rare because of production numbers. There are rarer cars out there due to less of them surviving as they aren't seen as anything special at all. eg Ford 1300 base auto
(and an excuse to post a link to a site that a few will go look at and see how rare their Maxi is)

young Ed

Veteran
Something to bear in mind, there only being 150 made makes them rare because of production numbers. There are rarer cars out there due to less of them surviving as they aren't seen as anything special at all. eg Ford 1300 base auto
(and an excuse to post a link to a site that a few will go look at and see how rare their Maxi is)
had a wee look at that site, apparently their is is only 8 ford mondeo 16v's on registered?
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/ford_mondeo_16v
Cheers Ed

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
had a wee look at that site, apparently their is is only 8 ford mondeo 16v's on registered?
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/ford_mondeo_16v
Cheers Ed
It's a very sketchy site when you get down to exotica and often wrong. There numbers on some Ducatis would suggest one of my mates has owned all of them.

With plugs, they have heat ratings, you can do a lot of damage with too hot a plug (hence my speculation about weird metals for the engines) you can also leave fuel unburned with too cold a plug (ignition pattern in the cylinder can lack efficiency) as well as all the issues of reach and spark size. There's a reason everyone doesn't use the same type.

young Ed

Veteran
It's a very sketchy site when you get down to exotica and often wrong. There numbers on some Ducatis would suggest one of my mates has owned all of them.

With plugs, they have heat ratings, you can do a lot of damage with too hot a plug (hence my speculation about weird metals for the engines) you can also leave fuel unburned with too cold a plug (ignition pattern in the cylinder can lack efficiency) as well as all the issues of reach and spark size. There's a reason everyone doesn't use the same type.
there we go, someone who has replaced more plugs than me probably! :smile:
TBH i just read the numbers and tap them into ebay
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom