"Somehow I got too close to him..."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
So at what point does lying become perjury?

When the falsehood is material to the judicial proceeding, and is made deliberately and whilst under oath.

Essentially.

D

Deleted member 26715

I guess that the 'hanged' meaning gives a clear indication of the fate of the deaded person. (That form/meaning has been around since the 15th century, BTW.)
I was thinking of in the past tense, they are still referred to as hanged, not hung, always thought it strange, but then grammar is not my forte

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I was thinking of in the past tense, they are still referred to as hanged, not hung, always thought it strange, but then grammar is not my forte
'Hang', of course, is the common form of the present tense, but the differentiation of the past tense (hung/hanged) helps give clarity to the person's fate without using extra words. And if you want to get in the subjunctive as well, you can say "...that he be hanged".

Buddfox

Veteran

I was taught that the difference arises depending on whether the verb is referring to a thing or a person. So if you are talking about a picture, or a coat, or a towel, then it is 'hung', but if you are talking about a person then you use 'hanged'.

Drago

Legendary Member
It is just a convention.
MHcover.png

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I was taught that the difference arises depending on whether the verb is referring to a thing or a person. So if you are talking about a picture, or a coat, or a towel, then it is 'hung', but if you are talking about a person then you use 'hanged'.
I think you've been taught wrongly, in that case. The OED definition of 'hanged': "Put to death by hanging by the neck." I other words of you tied someone's legs together and hung them from a tree, they haven't been hanged from the tree, but hung. (Apologies for the connotations of the imagery.)

Buddfox

Veteran
I think you've been taught wrongly, in that case. The OED definition of 'hanged': "Put to death by hanging by the neck." I other words of you tied someone's legs together and hung them from a tree, they haven't been hanged from the tree, but hung. (Apologies for the connotations of the imagery.)

Fair enough

There was also the tradition of the Gibbet.

Here the punishment continued beyond death where the body was "preserved" and left as a reminder to others who would commit similar offences. Again the body was "hung"

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
There was also the tradition of the Gibbet.

Here the punishment continued beyond death where the body was "preserved" and left as a reminder to others who would commit similar offences. Again the body was "hung"
Isn't that what they did to people who put the arms of their sunglasses inside their helmet straps?

400bhp

Guru
I can't remember the exact details, but there was a Nurse who was caught speeding several times and exceeded the 12 points

She pointed out that as a Senior Sister in a neurological theatre she was an integral part of the team to the point that if she could not drive, then cases would have to be delayed or cancelled

She kept her license and it was in the local press

She was in fact a junior member of staff and had no key role, and someone shopped her to the NMC for unprofessional conduct - they investigated and she was suspended

Perjury surely?

Top Bottom