Someone didn't think this through?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
No one is suggesting we expunge the word glitter from the lexicon. Its use on a children's T-shirt and in a statement expressing the sentiment it does is inappropriate; the double entendre, whether intentional or not, is unmissable.

I'd have missed it.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
If you take the line of zero tolerance on certain "notorious" names there would be no Saville Row, Saville Row tailors. The island of Harris would have to go. Dave Lee Travis ( the hairy cornflake) so no more cornies in the morning. Hastings would no longer exist, as would the battle. No glitterballs, no glitterati. And as for Stuart Hall, there would be a mass demolition of buildings around the country!:thumbsup:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont think kids know who Gary Glitter is.

You cant even threaten them with a bag of coal at christmas because they dont know what coal is.

I think coal is more famous than Gary Glitter but slightly less famous than Mud.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3471874, member: 45"]Except the child wearing it, who has no idea who Paul Gadd was. So I don't see the problem.[/QUOTE]
I agree, This ain't the Same as when playboy bought out a range of kids clothes a few years ago with bunny ears and the playboy logo on, that was an intentional subversion....the word glitter doesn't define peodaphilia like the word Gay should not define homosexuality.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
No one is suggesting we expunge the word glitter from the lexicon. Its use on a children's T-shirt and in a statement expressing the sentiment it does is inappropriate; the double entendre, whether intentional or not, is unmissable.
There are literally millions of words that...if you try really really hard, you can associate with something bad happening at some point, in some time, in some way.

Should they all be banned from kids clothing

I think you should try a little less to find a problem. I bought my wife a pillow with a glitter saying, from next as a stocking filler this Xmas, she is mad on glitter, so it was both funny and personal. I never once associated this with peadophila.

hoopdriver

Guru
[QUOTE 3472267, member: 45"]No, it's missable. You're making an issue of it because you know about GG and you're choosing to make the link.[/QUOTE]
I think a lot of people would make the link. An awful lot. No doubt there will be individuals here who will pipe up and swear blind they'd never in a million years have thought of Gary Glitter, but I think there will be a lot of adults - if not most - who would instantly think of the creep and be put off.

hoopdriver

Guru
There are literally millions of words that...if you try really really hard, you can associate with something bad happening at some point, in some time, in some way.

Should they all be banned from kids clothing

I think you should try a little less to find a problem. I bought my wife a pillow with a glitter saying, from next as a stocking filler this Xmas, she is mad on glitter, so it was both funny and personal. I never once associated this with peadophila.
Of course there are many words with which you could make all sorts of connection. No kidding. But this word/name, used in that particular sentence, on a children's T-shirt (of all things) is certainly an unfortunate context.

hoopdriver

Guru
Some - no, most - will make the link, at least in the back of their minds.

Do about it? Nothing.

I'd certainly never buy it, and I think that whoever designed it was either ditzy or thinking they were being clever with their entendre. Its not the kind of thing I'd get all up in arms about though.

And wouldn't most of the parents buying this be too young to remember Gary Glitter? Or did he have a second life in public after his predilections were exposed?
Apologies for this. I've just looked up Gary Glitter on wikipedia, and it turns out I missed his entire comback, and thought he was a N hit wonder from the 1970s.

But that was a different time, when this was number one in Australia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s90dZHBgsE

And I am pretty sure you can get tshirts with dragons on them there.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
There are lots of classic songs that, as father of teenage girls, I can't listen to any more .. Sweet Little Sixteen, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Young Girl, You're Sixteen etc... I think we have basically re-evaluated.
The t-shirt was probably made in China and worded by someone with no clue about portly perv Mr Gadd.

It gets down to if the phrase can be used to mean glitter as the name of a convicted paedophile or not and if so what it then reads as.

We should then avoid wording something in that way as we do for endless other things such as a French letter if we mean a letter from france.

The issue here is the poor kid wearing the t shirt may be unwittingly being seen as a victim by association within the scope of the double meaning.

There are lots of classic songs that, as father of teenage girls, I can't listen to any more .. Sweet Little Sixteen, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Young Girl, You're Sixteen etc... I think we have basically re-evaluated.
The t-shirt was probably made in China and worded by someone with no clue about portly perv Mr Gadd.

Billy J Cramer's Little Children was rather creepy even back in 1964!!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 3472710, member: 45"]Nice illustration. Nobody who wasn't around in the seventies knows what a French letter is.[/QUOTE]
I was around in the seventies, and I remember it as a coy term used only by old people. Pretty much obsolete these days.

Top Bottom