Someone is having a bad day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It may be a dodgy payment from someone testing whether the account is real or a mistake with a digit(s) wrong, although there are confirmation checks for that now. Either way it'll probably mysteriously vanish without a trace.

Can you move the money into the savings account so it can at least earn some interest before it inevitably disapears back to whence it came. Keep an eye on the bank account to transfer it back sharpish when it does.
The bank told me to move it into a different account so that it can't mysteriously disappear again. They expect me to get a letter in about a fortnight explaining that there was an error and how to return it.

I *may* have put it safely into a high interest account.

Slick

Guru
My experience was the obvious a few years back as a mysterious payment was taken out my account using a double barrelled name Coffee/McKenzie and it turned out I had been paying someone else's mortgage for a couple of months and stranger still, I knew the couple. It was fixed eventually but gawd knows how that happened as I was mortgage free at the time and had never had a mortgage from this bank.

classic33

Leg End Member
Despite what the Chance card in Monopoly says, you cannot keep a bank error in your favour.
Once had a similar payment, five figures, paid into my account.
Noticed when I'd passed the revolving door, and went and rejoined the queue to try and point out the mistake. Unexpected response of I shouldn't have gone outside until I'd checked. It was too late now, any error was now mine, as was the balance showing in the book.

I wished I'd left it at that, and them to sort out in their own time.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
On the subject of bank errors… my father’s godfather was on the board of governors (or something) of the [Redacted] Bank and the bank was executor of his will when he died. To cut a long story short, they ballsed up and my father received too big a cheque. By the time they realised the mistake and wrote my father a letter to say that there’d been an administrative error and that they wanted the money back, the dosh had been spent; my father wrote them a nice letter back saying that his godfather would be turning in his grave, and that they should swivel!

13 rider

Guru
I'm not 100% sure if it's been paid into your account by error the depositer can ask for it but but your not legally bound to pay it back as it was lawfully paid into your account .
Me if proven it was genuine mistake I would pay be back and have a clear conscience

colly

Re member eR
In the past l have had DD's taken from my account to pay another company's Yellow Pages bill.
Not just that but the payment came out twice.
I got the considerable amount back when l contacted the bank pretty much straight away because it used up all my balance and all but five quid of my overdraft arrangement.
Speaking to the bank they were mystified as to how it had happened.
The name of the company was entirely different, as was the sort code and account number.
My Yellow Pages DD was around one 15th of the amount.:sad:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I'm not 100% sure if it's been paid into your account by error the depositer can ask for it but but your not legally bound to pay it back as it was lawfully paid into your account .
Me if proven it was genuine mistake I would pay be back and have a clear conscience

I'm not sure that's true. If it has been paid into your account in error, I think you are legally obliged to pay it back.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
You do have to pay it back because its been in the papers about this when its happened before. When people have spent the money they have been told that they need to repay it or the bank will recover it through the court process.

OldShep

Über Member
Hi Anne, I’m sorry for the inconvenience but it looks as if I’ve mistakenly put a sum of money into your account. I don’t wish to put you to any more trouble. Please send me your username and password and I’ll take it back without any further action required by yourself.
Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

When I had my own business, a very, very good client transferred 12,000 pounds to me out of the blue.
I rang them up and said there had been a mistake. Client said no, that's impossible, we never make mistakes. A month later I rang them back again, same story, No that's impossible. Another month later I rang them back and said the money had been donated to a maternity ward in Uganda.

Everyone happy.

In the past l have had DD's taken from my account to pay another company's Yellow Pages bill.
Not just that but the payment came out twice.
I got the considerable amount back when l contacted the bank pretty much straight away because it used up all my balance and all but five quid of my overdraft arrangement.
Speaking to the bank they were mystified as to how it had happened.
The name of the company was entirely different, as was the sort code and account number.
My Yellow Pages DD was around one 15th of the amount.:sad:

Direct Debits are pull mechanisms initiated by the company; in this case Yellow Pages, they messed it up.

Interesting fact, a direct debit refund can still be issued after a direct debit is cancelled.

A standing order, faster payment, BACS payments are initiated by the account holder and push the payment to the recipient. As companies don’t have control over this, they don’t like it as much.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Hi Anne, I’m sorry for the inconvenience but it looks as if I’ve mistakenly put a sum of money into your account. I don’t wish to put you to any more trouble. Please send me your username and password and I’ll take it back without any further action required by yourself.
Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

I'll PM you. Thanks 🤣

Top Bottom