Something a Bit Different for £1,500?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cashy293

That's lovely, and a good deal I would say, out of interest do you know it's weight?

Thanks. Cant wait for the weather to pick up so I can actually get out on it. Might be a while yet though.

According to the review here http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-focus-cayo-evo-2-0-14-48172/ its 8.08 KG but not sure how much I may have affected that by putting the quattro's on instead of the 6.5's.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hold on. He wants something a bit different, yet he wants the ubiquitous carbon and Ultegra that everyone aspires to? That's like buying a Ford Fucus to be different.

If he want different he should try hand made steel or Ti at that price point, and will likely be every bit as quick and genuinely worthy of a raised eyebrow from the lycra louts.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Hold on. He wants something a bit different, yet he wants the ubiquitous carbon and Ultegra that everyone aspires to? That's like buying a Ford Fucus to be different.

If he want different he should try hand made steel or Ti at that price point, and will likely be every bit as quick and genuinely worthy of a raised eyebrow from the lycra louts.
Contradictory reply. You say that they have gone for the humdrum Ultegra, but then say they should have a Steel or Ti frame, which is unrelated. What groupset do you suggest they have on said Steel or Ti frame?

I have never seen a Focus out on my travels, so surely that's out of the ordinary?

Furthermore, what Ti framed beauty can you get for £1.299 with full Ultegra?

cashy293

Using the term "Lycra Louts" on a cycling forum is obviously used for the sole reason of getting some sort of a reaction.

I was always taught never to argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you through experience. Advice I will heed now.

Have a wonderful day :hello:

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, so rather than present evidence to counter a reasonably presented contention (which at least bpsmith attempted to do) you resort to insults instead? Very well done, very mature.

cashy293

Ah, so rather than present evidence to counter a reasonably presented contention (which at least bpsmith attempted to do) you resort to insults instead? Very well done, very mature.

Considering your avatar is of a man wearing a mankini with there term "flaccid member" underneath it (I'm guessing your maturity comment is meant to be ironic), I don't think my "insult" is too wide of the mark but as I say, have a wonderful day :hello:

Cyclist33

My mate is looking for n+1. He has £1,500 to spend and ideally wants Carbon and Ultegra.

Doable, you say, but what he really wants is something quality, that does the job right, but also something he likes the look of and is a bit out of the ordinary.

That's less doable, you say. I hear you, but has anyone seen anything with decent discount that fits the above requirements and still lands up around £1,500?

Presently, he is fancying the Focus Cayo 2.0, that he has seen on a deal. Any other ideas based on this sort of bike?

I can't see why the Focus could be described as "something a bit different", or for that matter any bike that's carbon and around the 1500 quid bracket - they're all ubiquitous nowadays!

Go and get steel or get something custom built!

Drago

Legendary Member
Are you dissing my swimsuit? I saved up very hard for that holiday in Margate, thank you very much.

But you could just answer the point. I'm sure it's a very nice bike and all, lovely even, but how is an identikit carbon road bike with standard issue roadie gruppo kit "a little bit different"?

cashy293

With regards to the "something different", I wanted a carbon bike that I hadn't seen anyone else riding i.e Something different from a Giant, Felt or Specialized etc etc as opposed getting a custom frame built up or building a whole bike from scratch.

Not sure if you have seen many Focus bikes in your area but I haven't hence my choice.

My level of "something different" is obviously different from yours.

Drago

Legendary Member
Until recently I used to run a fleet with 18 Focus bikes, the rest being a mix of Spesh and Giant. Focus are made by Derby, a German firm, and as well as supplying other retailers they have their own stores, Focus being the in house brand in much the same way Pinnacle is over here, not necessarily a bad thing. Univega are from the same stable,as is Raleigh these days.

Not as common as Giant or Spesh over here, but much bigger sellers than Felt, especially with MTBs, and no one buys a Felt to be different.

Drago

Legendary Member
I bought mine cos it was the best riding machine for the money. I couldn't care less what the neighbours think of it, or if everyone else in the World rides one. It's a bike, nothing more.

andyfraser

Über Member
I don't care either. I'm just saying Felts are rare here and I quite like that. I still would've bought the bike even if everyone and their dog had one.

Top Bottom