Something I was gonna tell yuz about...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Whilst at the bus stop y.day eve I noticed an MTB'er (with slicks) going at a fair crack with an ageing roady commuter, both of them commuters, it looked like they were having one hell of a race...

Excellent! I used to love the odd commuter race through London, pretending in vain to not be racing, whilst going balls out to 'win' a race with no finishline.

The best on I had was when another roadie and I threw vanity to the wind and were full on sprinting between traffic lights along Embankment. Got cheered when we smoked an open top tourist bus whose passengers had watched out progress.

We both called it a day in Battersea Park after we sprinted the whole length of the main road through, Chelsea Bridge to the other side. We were neck and neck and stopped at the traffic lights waiting to turn onto the road I managed to gasp out "You... *gasp gasp*... *gasp* win... *gasp*... bas...*gasp*...tard." We were both grinning like madmen when the lights changed and we both crawled away from the line.

When I lived in Kennington and worked in Waterloo I used to smoke people on my Raleigh Wayfairer 3spd ladies bike with a turbo saddle and long seatpost. Many of them had obviosly covered a few miles, coming in from Streatham or Brixton, so I was taking unfair advantage by sprinting for all of eight minutes but it used to really piss em off.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
However hard I try to pootle, I just can't do it.

I want to go out for a nice cruise and I end up coming back pouring sweat!

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Ive never mastered that one either ;)

zimzum42 said:

Arch

Married to Night Train
zimzum42 said:

Yeah, I find that, although I fear my all out sprint would be a pootle to most of you...

bonj2

Only real comical commuter race I've had was ages ago when I had a cheapo second-hand halfords bargain basement bin full-susser, which was so heavy I think it was made of cast iron. Anyway I was batting along, and waterproof-trousered-pannier-woman comes pedalling furilously past on the outside, on her probably equally cheap but much lighter and slick-tyred rigid. She goes straight through the (red) lights at the end of shalesmoor. I follow, and continue to draft her for about a mile. Then, having saved up some energy I feel ready for an overtake, so accelerate past her. I would have made it comfortably past, but right in the middle of my overtake I decide my cadence is too fast to accelerate much further and that I need to be on my big chainring, so I twist the grip-shifter (in mid overtake) grind...grind...grind!! shoot!
I eventually manage to get it on the big ring and continue the overtake, but it took longer than I'd hoped and had to absolutely knacker myself out to stay in front, and fortunately my turn off where she went straight on came just at the point where I couldn't maintain any more than about 13mph. ;)

Top Bottom