Something New

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrichorwheels

Have accidentally agreed to some of this gunk - hardly surprising in view of the mega mega number of questions asked before can proceed/exit. Far far worse than I have ever seen on even the most clickbaity subsubsub tabloid site. Stuff has clearly been put on my devices (and i seem to recall having at least one thing flashing before my dazzled eyes that mentioned a life of something approaching a year) that cannot be removed with a simple cookie/cache clear.
How can I remove this stuff?
Can I remove my tricked consent?
If so how?
Have wiped my chromebook/reinstalled the operating system, but is trickier to do this on my android device and I will lose some stuff important to my cycling if I do - no way round that.
Advice please.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Not seen that pop up since. I was using my lap top as usual with Duckduckgo when it occurred. I only use my smartphone (which I only have as a reluctant concession to family's messaging needs/addiction) as a telephonic communication device, not as a primary online portal, so I can't comment on Android. I have developed a loathing for Google, with its cavalier approach to users' data, so that's another reason to use it as little as possible.

Petrichorwheels

Options:

1. Relax and accept that’s how you fund the site; or

2. Use CycleChat via a more privacy oriented browser (DuckDuckGo as an example) set to delete cookies and history after every session.

Other slightly more technically involved strategies are available. I use a combination of my own VPN/pi-hole and option 1 above.

Ta but i have always regularly now and again cleaned cookies and cache just to keep my ageing stuff running smoothly.
As i said lots of stuff has clearly been put on my device.
Clearly stuff there as when now logging in on whatever browser I am no longer presented with that interminable (way way longer and more confusing than anything I have ever come across before).
What I want to do is remove this stuff and also remove the consents I was bounced into.
In short am looking for a simple solution so can move on.

Shaun

Founder
@Petrichorwheels nothing has been implanted. CycleChat will store a cookie if you tick the box to remember your login, remember your CC cookie choice, and the additional advertising consent pop-up will store a cookie with your choices. If you don't wish to consent to personalised ads, simply click the manage options button and turn off the eight legitimate interest sliders. Click Confirm choices to save and that should be that. (There is no need to change any of the 170+ ad agency preferences if you have not enabled any of the main consent sliders.)

Once set, both of these should work in the background and not regularly pop back up, however, clearing browser cache/cookies will likely clear the choices you've made and you'll need to re-tick to remember your login, and confirm your CycleChat cookie and redo the slider choices for the ads consent.

Whatever else is happening on your device it is unlikely to be related to visiting CycleChat.

I have no interest in collecting anyone's personal data and in the 15+ years I've been running CycleChat I've never once spammed anyone or planted anything on their devices. Ultimately, if you're not happy with CycleChat other cycling communities are available.

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:

Top Bottom