Something New

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm getting an annoying popup asking me to turn off my ad blocker, which frankly I'm not going to do. So when it annoys me enough I'll just stop using the forum :laugh:

Is there still an option to pay to remove the ads?

I use an ad blocker too as I detest ads. Haven’t had that yet though, but agree that I would rather pay a nominal amount to use the site than put up with ads.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Well this is even more annoying... I've just paid for the upgrade and immediately got a pop-up :laugh:

1672308611219.png

Hopefully this is a caching error or something and will stop soon?

Petrichorwheels

Switched everything off and it's gone away.

but really sure that you've switched everything off andy?
there all those "legitimate interest" (and who decides what is legitimate? not me) buttons which of course you have to switch individually - clearly big data doesn't want to provide anything so obvious as a button which says "none please".
Then you maybe didn't notice the "vendor preeferences" thing at the bottom which if you click on it reveals a whole load of other "legitimate interest" buttons which have to be clicked.
Individually of course.
That technique reminds me of spoilt brat narcissists who go "na na na can't hear" when you ask a simple question/make a simple request.
The only response to that deliberate ploy in my book is just to walk away.

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
But from what i can see you can't turn everything off. Apart from having to plough through the "legitimate interest" (legitimate in what sense?) Buttons clicking off there remain a whole line-up of permissions which you can't turn off at all.
Bugger this.
Place for various reasons hasn't been up to much for a while anyway. Definitely not worth big data rifling through my stuff.
So unless I have missed something, bugger it.

As always with matters of data privacy, if you have concerns about how organisations use your data and your rights and responsibilities, I’d recommend half an hour looking at the guidance for the public on the information commissioner‘s office site. Its generally very well written.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters

For example, here’s the definition and an example of ‘legitimate interest’.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/does-an-organisation-need-my-consent/#legitimate

Edit…

Ultimately it’s each person’s responsibility of understand how organisations can use their data legitimately and the risk of unlawful or undesirable use. Don’t be like the tiler doing Ma Bollo’s bathroom last week, who lectured me on why he wouldn’t give the council his car reg to use the local tip, and how he‘d started a Facebook group to protest.

For full disclosure, I work for a company that develops software to assess an organisation’s “privacy risk”. For example, if the comany got hacked, the amount and type of data released will determine how big the fine could be.

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Just had that too. As I normally use an ad blocker I haven't had any ads since I joined. Another site that I use has started sending pop ups asking me to turn it off, which I'm not going to do. Normally, if a site makes it possible to "decline all" then I do that. If a site makes access difficult unless I consent to their ads it will drive me away as a user. I hope this won't happen with CC.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
but really sure that you've switched everything off andy?
there all those "legitimate interest" (and who decides what is legitimate? not me) buttons which of course you have to switch individually - clearly big data doesn't want to provide anything so obvious as a button which says "none please".
Then you maybe didn't notice the "vendor preeferences" thing at the bottom which if you click on it reveals a whole load of other "legitimate interest" buttons which have to be clicked.
Individually of course.
That technique reminds me of spoilt brat narcissists who go "na na na can't hear" when you ask a simple question/make a simple request.
The only response to that deliberate ploy in my book is just to walk away.
I'd say there's nothing different about this site and the way in which it works than any other site out there.
They all ask for your consent, say no and some will let you go no further.

"Big Data" is everywhere these days, like it or not, and if it's watching what I put on a site such as this it can't have much to go on. Very few are using their real names.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had it pop up just now when I logged in on my phone.

postman

Legendary Member
My son put an ad blocker on this chromebook for me.Today here on CC i keep getting a very large banner across the pages.How many times do i have to press the x in the top corner before it finally stops appearing.

Top Bottom