1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something old, something new and could be blue.

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Crock of Gold, 28 Apr 2008.

1. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

I need advice, please.

I am in the process of buying a new bike but am getting cold feet.

I want a fixed flip-flop jobbie.

I only cycle 28 miles a day - round trip - across London Mon-Fri with no slopes and have done this journey since last Summer. I cycle all weathers and all Winter across potholes etc and so want something fast, sturdy and reliable.

I currently have a sit up and beg bike but think I can go faster on something a bit "racier".

Plus I want to look a bit less nerdy as well (vanity creeping in).

So advice is welcome. I initially budgetting £360. With CTC membership I could get a new single speed from the CTC shop.

But then I found gumtree and saw 2nd hand sible-speedsters going for about £250-£300. I thought - ok - they are a few months old but a £100 or so cheaper then buying new.

Then I saw some for sale for about £150 - thought, ok, they are a few years old but they work for my needs.

So with all the choice I have no idea what to buy. Something new, something newish or something old?

I don't want to waste money but I also don't want to buy something that won't work.

I'm tempted by a 2nd hand jobbie that is a few months old for about £250 ish (or even lower).

2. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Can you borrow one to try out? Even for a day? Then you'll have a better idea of how badly you want one and where to spend your money.

3. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

'fraid not.

But then I only use one or two gears out of the eighteen I have anyway. The rest now irritate me as they still need looking after and it's all more hassle then it's worth.

I can certainly justify spending 200-250 on a 2nd hand Langster, for example. I mean a monthly train season ticket alone costs about £120. I'm thinking if I bought a new cycle it would instantly drop in value by £50-£100 after a few months anyway, so what's the difference?

But now I've started to read the posts by people building simple, single-speeds from scratch using old frames for even cheaper...

even more choice (!) urggghhhh

4. simonali

simonali Über Member

5. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Thanks for the heads up on Primera.

6. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Well...

...there I was cycling home last night on Sirrus Specialized (slightly too big) and it hit me.

My legs felt tired and hurting. My stomach felt sick (the bag of Brazil nuts I'd consumed for afternoon tea now did not look like a good idea). I felt hot. And I still had another 12 miles to go.

I'd been feeling good cycling for the last few weeks. However, I struggled now to keep up with the bloke in front of me who was cycling with his arms down his sides. I was doing about 11 mph.

A bit further on a couple of guys on single-speeds and some more on racier bikes overtook me and were probably going twice as fast as me.

I thought who am I trying to fool? I'm feeling rough - how can I justify buying a new bike, let alone a single-speed and looking as though I can actually take advantage of the thing.

Got home and I had calf cramp.

Today, though, I felt fine cycling in.

AND I HAVE JUST PAID £359.99 AND ORDERED A SPECIALIZED LANGSTER 2008 FROM PRIMERS (THANKS SIMONALI) WHICH WILL ARRIVE AT MY HOME NEXT WEDNESDAY!!!

Let's hope I don't look like a fool cycling it now. I'll put yesterday down to lack of suitable food during the day. I had cornflakes, two bananas, three apples, three oranges and a bag of Brazil nuts. Not enough carbs.

Let me praise Primera. They told me initially that the 07 in my size was sold out, so they solde me the more exoensive 08 (albeit with discount). They then called me over the weekend to say they had found a boxed 07 and would I want it at the cheaper price? I said I was happy with he 08.

Friendly, honest and prompt.

7. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

It's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 mins ago the doorbell rang and the parcel arrived. Sorry to bump up the post but I've got to thank this Forum for getting me here!!!!

Primera are good, as well. They actually sent back a previous langster intended for me as the frame was dented when they checked.

I brought the box in and...

...it was so light!!!! I could pick it up with one finger!!!

Tomorrow I shall fully open the bike (I've already had three cans of stella tonight so won't fully get it out now) and I shall enjoy!!!!!

I didn't realise simple cycling could be so exciting, beneficial and grey cell inducing!!!!

wooo hoooooo

8. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Woo hoo indeed. Enjoy...:biggrin: