Something rattling in the hollow of the rear wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aJohnson

Hey, I've noticed a sound when I spin my rear wheel(Cant notice it when riding as it's not that loud), it sounds like there's some very small things moving about in the hollow part. It doesn't sound like they're big as the sound isn't loud at all.

Any idea on what it could be? And does it need fixing or should it be ok?

Garz

Squat Member
Holy moly AJ where have you been hiding?

HovR

Über Member
Get the hub taken apart and inspected/serviced.

Last time I heard odd noises like this coming from the front hub it was because it needed cleaning out and regreasing.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I had some putty stuff in some wheels that crumbled and made that sort of noise. Not sure why it was there, but I shook the bits out of the rim (after moving the tape to one side) and the noises stopped

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Sounds like some grit or metal has found its way into the rim. It's no problem but you can take the inner tube off and try and shake it out through the valve hole.

OP
OP
aJohnson

aJohnson

Holy moly AJ where have you been hiding?

Went University in London, didn't take my bike so I haven't been cycling in a while, back home now and I start at university of manchester in september.

So, a lot of non cycling in my life recently, I need to get back on the bike and back in shape.

Garz

Squat Member
Could be an internal piece that has flaked off or some road crud that has formed. Would not worry too much yet, if it was a crunching sound then I would.

OP
OP
aJohnson

aJohnson

These noises are still annoying though, even if they don't signify a real problem!

It's annoying knowing it's there, but I definitely wont be able to hear it when I'm riding. It's far too quiet, and my back wheel is one that makes a noise when freewheeling anyway.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
On my wheels there is a bit of a hollow where you can tighten up the spoke nipples, something could be in there?
When my spoke snapped at the nipple the nipple disappeared for a while into the rim!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

spacecat

Swarf from manufacture of the wheel in the rim? Had this on mine, more of a tinkling noise and when I shook the stuff out through the valve hole it looked to me like machinings (if that's a word!) From the drilling etc.

Top Bottom