something to prove....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

I tend to pass a lot of people on my fixie but this is mainly as keeping the thing spinning at speed is a lot easier than slogging away at slow speed , I do feel a bit embarrassed as I go passed and always think that they think I am racing them, This is of course not the case. I do look behind often but this is
just me observing my surrounding traffic . I quite often think of saying morning or whatever but think this would make me sound even more smug ,what do you think ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Riding my fixie to work and back gives me the advantage that I tend to fly past just about every other cyclist and most powered vehicles too. I don't see it as racing as the speed differential is generally enough that that doesn't really come in to it. And before anyone thinks that I am just blowing my trumpet, here is the gps output from my phone that I did on the way home tonight:

Username domtyler
Activity Cycling
Route
Start time 20/08/08 16:37
Duration 19min 47s
Distance 10.2 km
Speed (average) 30.8 km/h
Speed (max) 67 km/h
Pace (average) 1min 56s per km
Pace (max) 39s per km
Altitude (min) 51 m
Altitude (max) 176 m
Step count 0
Heart Rate (manual)

In old money that is an average speed of 19.1 mph over 6.3 miles in London. ;)

hichakhok

I am always being overtaken by fixed gear riders...10 years ago I went from 3 gears to 1 gear and recently to no gears. No gears = running, I run my commutes, often racking up over 35 miles per week, and i run semi barefoot, the fixed version of running with zero cushion shoes (vibrams.) I have the small satisfaction of knowing I'm probably far fitter than the brakeless hoxtonites gingerly wobbling past me...:?:
the brakeless thing is hilarious, kind of impressed that people put fashion over personal safety. must mean a lot to them...and what's with the colour coding? matching shoes and rims...who has the time???

rootes

silly races (with cars, buses, bikes etc) + going as fast as possible are often the only highlight of a dull working day....

Top Bottom