Somethings I don't understand about cyclists...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1. On a day like today, why do some cyclists still wear baggy shorts? Sometimes without socks as well?

2. On a bright clear morning like today why do some cyclists still ride with their twin 500w halogens flashing away like Eddiston Lighthouse? Whilst riding on the pavement?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
1. Because they want to?
2. Because they have forgotten to turn them off? And want to break the law?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
1) Today is the first day I wished I'd set off in longs, tbh, although it was too late to change when I realised :biggrin:

2) Start the commute in the twilight-ish light of ten past seven, maybe?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Disgruntled Goat said:
=
2. On a bright clear morning like today why do some cyclists still ride with their twin 500w halogens flashing away like Eddiston Lighthouse? Whilst riding on the pavement?

Yesterday morning it was bright and clear and I rode with front and rear Dinottes, both on the brightest setting. I was just checking that, with my current batteries, fully charged, I could commute both ways without going into reserve, 'cos I'm going to need to do that soon enough.

I didn't ride on the pavement tho'.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shorts today....argh...... rarely ever wear just shorts - usually have trackie bottoms on for the commute (plus shorts) or bib tights when out training - hate cold thighs..

Lights - assume it wasn't bright daylight then ?

OP
OP
Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat

fossyant said:
Shorts today....argh...... rarely ever wear just shorts - usually have trackie bottoms on for the commute (plus shorts) or bib tights when out training - hate cold thighs..

Lights - assume it wasn't bright daylight then ?

Clear and Bright as a very clear and bright thing. See him every morning, on the pavement, lights a flashing whether gloomy or broad daylight.

Not as good as the guy I saw riding around (not through) the park with his £400 lights a blazing at about 1pm on a clear day.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Disgruntled Goat said:
Not as good as the guy I saw riding around (not through) the park with his £400 lights a blazing at about 1pm on a clear day.
Sheesh! That's more than my (best) bike cost!
Still, I suppose if you'd spen that much on lights you'd want to use them, no matter when!

Membrane

Disgruntled Goat said:
2. On a bright clear morning like today why do some cyclists still ride with their twin 500w halogens flashing away like Eddiston Lighthouse?

Same reason why motorcyclist generally have their lights on all the time, it improves your chances of being seen.

Membrane

Disgruntled Goat said:
I don't see that many motorcycles on the pavement though

I don't think the two are related, or are you seeing cyclists who switch their lights on when on the pavement, and off when on the road?

Membrane said:
Same reason why motorcyclist generally have their lights on all the time, it improves your chances of being seen.

Not from choice in my case - John Bloor gave in to the Europeans before it became mandatory, then they all changed their mind. Then, just as I got 2 headlamps (still have lights if 1 bulb blows) the Euros decide that car drivers can't cope and say only 1 for motorbikes. Apparently they can't tell the difference between a motorbike with 2 lamps and a car a long way away! Not sure if this has been repealed but I've kept my twins even if triumph stole the switch.

Some of the advantage of daylight lights on vunerable road users (bikes and motorbikes?) is negated when scandinavian car manufacturers throw away their stock of switches. 2 wheelers used to stand out now we just blend in to the general headlamp haze.

Top Bottom