Sometimes you just want to take it home..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Awww some unkind attitudes to what, as Keith pointed out, is clearly a hard working bike that is still going strong after.. what? 40 years?
I was intrigued by the rod brakes, and how they pulled the blocks (which were pretty new by the way) up onto the inside of the rim rather than the sides. Also like the way the rear brake is tucked away under the chainstays, although I suppose the blocks are more susceptible to dirt there.
The saddle isn't a brooks by the way, I did note the make, but forgot straight away. :ohmy:

Pete

It really ought to have a pair of sprung-steel trouser clips hanging from the top tube. If it were a gent's bike and had a top tube, that is. Ah well. I used to have a bike with rod brakes, just like that. And of course woods valves, cotter pins, 3-speed Sturmey Archer... plus of course the obligatory (albeit a bit rusty) lamp bracket on the steerer...

alecstilleyedye said:
but it's a girl's bike guys :ohmy:

Woops! Faux pas or what? You're not very PC alecstilleyedye, its technically an 'open' frame as opposed to a 'standard' frame, not a 'girls', 'ladies' or even 'wimmins' bike.
I am surprised at you.

Tut tut.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
well a spade's a spade as you say in yorkshire.

Arch

Married to Night Train
alecstilleyedye said:
but it's a girl's bike guys :biggrin:

So? I had a very similar bike, but a 'mans' frame, for a while, got for £3 from the tip, lovely for about town in the summer.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
well girls can use men's stuff and look cool. doesn't really work the other way round though.

i would never recommend an open frame to a lady cyclist anyway, they arn't as rigid and the back brakes seem to suffer a loss of power as a result of the routing of the cable. much better a "standard" frame with suitable alterations for the female form. unless you need it for a timotei advert of course :biggrin:

bobg

Über Member
[quote I want that bike.

quote]

Don't think you would for long if you tried fixing a puncture on the back wheel or changing the chain and threading it though that chainguard/oilbath :biggrin: .... said he, having spent most of yesterday afternoon doing same:evil:

Pete

alecstilleyedye said:
...and the back brakes seem to suffer a loss of power as a result of the routing of the cable....
Ah! well it wouldn't matter with that bike - rod brakes, you see! Come to think of it, ISTR my old sit-up-n-beg, with rod brakes, but 'gents' frame, had the rod routed along the down tube, pivot at the B/B, then along the chain stays. I think, if it had been routed along the top tube, the pivot would have got in the way of the seat post.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I've got a bike you can ride it if you like. Reminds me of the late great Syd. Would he of been seen on such a workhorse? I think so.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I think it is an old Raliegh. From the design on the front lamp bracket you can see the outline of the Raliegh symbol. Anyone else agree?

Top Bottom