Somewhat perturbed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zee

Veteran
Made a first visit to an LBS (near my parents' place) for some advice on fitting v-brake noodles to 'turn' STI gear cables. The bike was an old alu frame off a forum with Shimano 2300 from the parts bin thrown on- but still missing cables and tape.

I was looked up and down by the shop assistant who straight away asked "Where did you get that [bike]?". He then turned and called the owner out of the back room and asked "do you think we can take this?" - notably distinct from the follow-up of "can we book it in?".

I left my bike with them in any case- partly as there was work that needed doing with an equal part of being a bit stunned by the response. I brushed it off at the time but the accusation of having stolen the bike hasn't sat well since.

I guess the lesson is not to wear a hoodie/trainers to drop off a half built bike at your LBS? Or to visit an LBS who has enough moral fibre to stick to their guns and refuse business should they for any reason (unfounded or otherwise) believe the bike is stolen..

/vent

What shop?

robrich

Are you sure the perceived attitude was because they thought it was stolen? Quite likely there may be other reasons.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I would suggest that the key was not your attire, nor your bike, nor its provenance but the fact you were a complete stranger to them.

OP
OP
Zee

Zee

Veteran
Are you sure the perceived attitude was because they thought it was stolen?
Absolutely 100%. It was initially very accusatory and unfriendly body language. I feel it would be an appropriate response for a suspicion of a stolen bike but for a complete lack of grounding here. They would have been welcome to check the serial number and provenance if they had just been frank and asked rather than make eyes at each other and have a thinly veiled discussion on whether or not I should be served.

In hindsight, I reckon I should have just let it be and gone elsewhere. The pickup should be interesting.

What shop?
Not aiming to name and shame, just a bit deflated.

Top Bottom