son is having problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tonyw

tonyw

well we are getting there going to take a great deal of patience but it is a confidence problem but has being pushing himself as he is going to help build his own bike and choose frame/wheels paint himself hes very intrested in how things work so its a good motivation tool

e-rider

crappy member
:rolleyes: Nothing positive to contribute then?
that is what I used for my son (who was 3 at the time) - he was riding without stabilizers within 5 minutes. Obviously, the OP case has a disability which makes the process more complicated, but riding on dry short grass is a great way to start for anyone IMO

AndyRM

XOXO
Glad to hear things are going well tonyw. A friend of mine has a similar situation (though his child is a couple years younger). He ended up going down the trike route quite early, but I'd be interested to hear any further success you have on two wheels as he's rather keen to get his boy on a 'proper' bike.

local park bowling green is ideal - soft landing etc

One of the old boys I bowl with is well trained in numerous martial arts. I'm sure he'd love to catch you destroying the green.

Cubist

Still wavin'
that is what I used for my son (who was 3 at the time) - he was riding without stabilizers within 5 minutes. Obviously, the OP case has a disability which makes the process more complicated, but riding on dry short grass is a great way to start for anyone IMO

I've had a bit of a think about this and concluded that if you aren't trolling, then you're a bit of a nobber.

Cubist

Still wavin'
that is very unkind and very unnecessary - people like you ruin CC
You have suggested people should ride bicycles on a bowling green, and then told us you have done it yourself. That is incredibly irresponsible of you. As I have said, you are either an idiot for thinking it's OK to damage a bowling green, or you are deliberately trying to provoke a reaction for no other purpose than your own entertainment, in which case you are a troll.

e-rider

crappy member
You have suggested people should ride bicycles on a bowling green, and then told us you have done it yourself. That is incredibly irresponsible of you. As I have said, you are either an idiot for thinking it's OK to damage a bowling green, or you are deliberately trying to provoke a reaction for no other purpose than your own entertainment, in which case you are a troll.

no damage was done
I think you are the idiot here - have you nothing better to do?

AndyRM

XOXO
no damage was done
I think you are the idiot here - have you nothing better to do?

Without wanting to further derail this thread too much, I think you under-estimate how much effort goes into maintaining a bowling green, and how sensitive they can be. Recommending cycling on one is not good advice. Cycling on short grass in a park would be fine to minimise bumps and scrapes; not a prepared surface with a specific use.

The Dwaff Family

My DD has dyspraxia and really struggled with learning to ride a bike. She just could not balance and had so much fear because of this to then even give it a real try. When her younger brother just discovered to ride she suddenly became interested in trying, so we left an old bike in the garden and two weeks later she was there, albeit wobbly!!
We went straight out to buy her a new bike, a pink bmx but it was just soo heavy and not ideal with her being a tiny little thing. Two weeks later went to lbs and bought a much lighter mtb which was much easier to move along, but she had no strength to easily pull the gears. Finally after wasting money buying wrong bikes, we had now heard of Islabikes and had got son a Cnoc 16 so got her the Beinn 20. Light, could manoeuvre easily and could pull the gears, she was so happy and gave her so much confidence.
She's still not always in a straight line but with the dyspraxia, getting them a light bike and gears that are easily used will make the learning to ride a lot easier.

OP
OP
tonyw

tonyw

hi yes dyspraxia is a problem as my son was diagnosed, but he is getting over the problems this causes. on another note i have not and never will take my son on a bowling green can we please drop the subject please!! as you have hijacked the thread,back to it we now have him freewheeling and using brakes on his own this is def a step forward in itself hes doing well may soon be cycling without assistance, on yet another note i promised he could build what he liked when he learnt...unfortunatly hes settled on a 1980's retro bmx have you seen what they go for not sure there worth £350 quid for a frame think may have to steer him towards a modern one. thanks for all the posts

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Without wanting to further derail this thread too much, I think you under-estimate how much effort goes into maintaining a bowling green, and how sensitive they can be. Recommending cycling on one is not good advice. Cycling on short grass in a park would be fine to minimise bumps and scrapes; not a prepared surface with a specific use.

ffs no one here, least of all the OP is stupid enough to ride on a bowling green and clearly it was a tongue in cheek remark, which I'm sure wasn't intending in any way to belittle the OP's lad's praiseworthy quest to ride a bike despite it being more difficult than for the rest of us

AndyRM

XOXO
ffs no one here, least of all the OP is stupid enough to ride on a bowling green and clearly it was a tongue in cheek remark, which I'm sure wasn't intending in any way to belittle the OP's lad's praiseworthy quest to ride a bike despite it being more difficult than for the rest of us

Since the thread is dead, other than a recent advert, and I'm gubbed off work and bored, can I ask if you read the follow up comments where Mr Rider states he used a bowling green to teach his son to ride?

I'm all for teaching anyone to ride a bike, but not at the expense of someone else's hobby.

Anyway @tonyw - how is your lad getting on? Good progress I hope? The mate I mentioned has had limited success with his boy on two wheels. He'd probably be better off using something other than my old Raleigh Ascender but he claims to 'like' the hateful machine.

e-rider

crappy member
Since the thread is dead, other than a recent advert, and I'm gubbed off work and bored, can I ask if you read the follow up comments where Mr Rider states he used a bowling green to teach his son to ride?

I'm all for teaching anyone to ride a bike, but not at the expense of someone else's hobby.

Anyway @tonyw - how is your lad getting on? Good progress I hope? The mate I mentioned has had limited success with his boy on two wheels. He'd probably be better off using something other than my old Raleigh Ascender but he claims to 'like' the hateful machine.
I have since discovered that it was a croquet green, not a bowling green so you can all relax now.

Top Bottom