son is having problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyw

My son is disabled (13 now although very small for his age) amoungst his problems which i won't go into here is a balance problem,over the years i have bought 3 bikes and unfortunatly hes never managed to learn to cycle(balance being the biggest problem) problem is now hes at an age where hes VERY easily embarrassed although more determined due to my recently starting to cycle again and does not want to try again in the street in case someone sees him local park and bike club the same problem. So considering his age looking for something to start again from scratch found a local course for total begginners but question is as he needs his own bike what do i buy? was thinking about local decathlon and if he does fail which i hope he won't should i consider a trike? any advice would be appreciated

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I used to ride trikes of the traditional style I started with a conversion kit on the back of a road bike and moved up to having Bob jacksons build me one and loved them, unfortunately I still got 'comments' from different quarters. I did my longest day ride on it from Barnet to Leeds and my first '100' They do come up on ebay every now and then and there is a choice from 20" to 700c as well as mountain bike style, a conversion should mount on most frames with wheels built to suit. If he does fail (hopefully not ) trikes should be considered but what about a tandem for starters? to build up confidence and roadcraft.

I wish him success and good luck.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
A recumbent trike might be the answer. A low centre of gravity adds extra stability and the style of bike provides a neutral seating position to reduce stress on all body parts. These can be very fast and sporty machines so may have a lower embarrassment factor too. I understand that these bike are easy to adjust from rider to rider, so should be a bike that can be easily adjusted for him as he grows.

I don't have any experience of riding them, but a fellow club member has several recumbents in his collection and absolutely loves them, and highly recommends them, and looks far too comfortable when we're out on the road together!

I would be tempted to buy a cheap used bike from a local paper and find somewhere like a deserted car park. My office car park, for example is empty of people and cars at weekends, and there would then be nobody to make him feel awkward. I would then get him 'scooting' after removing the pedals, and then refit them once he has some balance. It may take a while, so be patient, but I have got disabled children riding when parents thought they'd never crack it.

If he has issues getting the pedaling action, then a tandem might be the answer. A charity called Charlotte's Tandems loans them to families with disabled children for no charge, so you might try Googling them.

KMX are a difficult machine to place in a children's heirarchy

They are either incredibly cool, or very embarrassing.

However they are brilliant machines for kids

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
have you got a local wheels for all type charity that you could go and see, not only for a bit of peer support for your son and advice from likeminded people for you but they'll also have a range of bikes covering varying balance and mobility issues, that you could try out and see which best suits your circumstances.
Otherwise Gumtree and Preloved or an enquiry in the local charity shops might be an idea in the first instance for a conventional bike that you could pay so little for that you could give it away if its not suitable and not be out of pocket

OP
OP
tonyw

tonyw

thanks guys alot to think about the last bike we bought him (cheap bmx from hawk cycles) is now sitting on back garden unused and too small now ,shame really will put it up for advertisement as free to anyone that can fix it later thinking about it, having had a talk to him earlier i think were going to go following way ...cheap second hand one and empty carpark ,if that fails i am going to start looking at trikes...perhaps and adaption kit on a standard bike may be the way to go, whatever happens appreciate the ideas and support from all

OP
OP
tonyw

tonyw

well after talking to little horror(13 going on 53)we have come to following course of action to try a big carpark and a second hand bike on the condition he can have what he likes if he learns(may be a mistake) if that fails i am going to look into recumbent trikes just seen the kmx k3 have to admit hethinks thats very cool as none of his friends have anything like it....thanks al

Willow

I wonder could you ask his school whether you can borrow their playground. I am a school business manager and would be delighted to help if any parents contacted me. We are lucky in that we also have an all weather area where the ground is 'spongy' so falling isn't so bad and helps with confidence.

OP
OP
tonyw

tonyw

well we found a very large car park shut at night got the pedals off got him scooting and breaking just got the pedals back on will take him tommorrow and see how he goes

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
well we found a very large car park shut at night got the pedals off got him scooting and breaking just got the pedals back on will take him tommorrow and see how he goes

Sounds like a promising start. He is lucky to have such a patient Dad.:thumbsup:

atbman

Veteran
Good luck. We taught a 14-year old with severe dyspraxia to ride over 4 Saturday sessions. Lots of encouragement and determination on his part, so persist. I do know that his parents said that it had done wonders for his self-confidence and it spilled over into other areas of his life :smile:

Top Bottom