Son looking at a full suspension bike, your thoughts please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So the Elder Son is currently a few months into his two year bike mechanic training, and unsurprisingly he's hanging out with lots of people into downhill riding. Equally unsurprisingly, he's decided he wants to get into downhill riding himself.

I have no clue about downhill riding, being very much of the 'steel frame and mudguards' persuasion as regards pedal powered transport.

His mates have recommended something like the Ghost Kato FS 3.7 AL, currently selling locally for about 1700€, although being in the industry the Elder Son has connections and can get it for 1200€ ish.

He's earning money for the apprenticeship, doesn't drink or smoke, and has been saving. He can afford it. He's pretty sensible and won't take too many crazy risks. Obviously he can fix it and take care of it if need be.

Question is, is this a bike for someone starting in Downhill? If not, what is? To me €1200 is a vast amount of money to spend on a bike for a new hobby, but on the other hand, I don't want him getting a bike that folds under him on the first ride.

Any thoughts?

Also, what else would he need?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
That's a great bike spec for trail riding , in the modern parlance, but downhilling done properly* requires a totally different style of bike that is pretty much rubbish at anything else. 130mm is mid travel nowadays and with reasonable damping those kind of bikes are really capable bikes well suited to all round MTBing at down the woods and in the hills and are ideal for mid level trail centres.

* by that I mean competition style riding not going down a hill on your fully rigid 80's hardtail

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What fishfright says, that's a good trail bike and very good all round - I have a 130mm Boardman FS Pro, which climbs and descends.

He may be better going with an enduro bike, around 160mm travel. With a full on downhill bike (200mm) then they are a pig to ride other than downhill. If he only has 1 bike, enduro. If two, trail and downhill.

Most enduro bikes still climb ok, but have the travel to cope with big hits.

Most types fall into these brackets (roughly)

XC (Cross Country) 100-120mm travel

Trail 120 - 150mm travel

Enduro 150-180mm travel

Downhill around 200mm travel.

Most 'overlap' but what you also get is different geometry. XC is quite a bit steeper than Trail then more slack Enduro,

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
With that Ghost, I'd suggest a bike with Rockshox or Fox suspension, only because they are more popular, and service parts easy to get (which you'll need to do).

Forks need a 'lower leg' service every 50 hours/major service at 100, similar with the rear shock. That said, I've yet to do mine, but I do keep the stanchions meticulously clean and silicon lube the seals after every ride.

That's a great bike spec for trail riding , in the modern parlance, but downhilling done properly* requires a totally different style of bike that is pretty much rubbish at anything else. 130mm is mid travel nowadays and with reasonable damping those kind of bikes are really capable bikes well suited to all round MTBing at down the woods and in the hills and are ideal for mid level trail centres.

* by that I mean competition style riding not going down a hill on your fully rigid 80's hardtail

Understood, thanks. Stuttgart is an unusual city in that it is in a steep sided valley, so the MTB'ers tend to ride down into the city and catch the tram back up. I suspect this sort of bike will happily deal with the sort of riding he wants to do.

One question though, what is the advantage of this over a hardtail for trail riding?

What fishfright says, that's a good trail bike and very good all round - I have a 130mm Boardman FS Pro, which climbs and descends.

He may be better going with an enduro bike, around 160mm travel. With a full on downhill bike (200mm) then they are a pig to ride other than downhill. If he only has 1 bike, enduro. If two, trail and downhill.

Most enduro bikes still climb ok, but have the travel to cope with big hits.

Most types fall into these brackets (roughly)

XC (Cross Country) 100-120mm travel

Trail 120 - 150mm travel

Enduro 150-180mm travel

Downhill around 200mm travel.

Most 'overlap' but what you also get is different geometry. XC is quite a bit steeper than Trail then more slack Enduro,

Thanks for the list: this is a whole new world for someone who think bike technology peaked with Bakfietsen. What is the difference between XC and Trail apart from the travel? Google image search brings very similar looking images, although I noticed Hard tails predominate in both.

With that Ghost, I'd suggest a bike with Rockshox or Fox suspension, only because they are more popular, and service parts easy to get (which you'll need to do).

Forks need a 'lower leg' service every 50 hours/major service at 100, similar with the rear shock. That said, I've yet to do mine, but I do keep the stanchions meticulously clean and silicon lube the seals after every ride.

Maintenance would be a big concern for me (which is why I insist on steel rigid bikes) but for him it won't be a major issue: He regularly pulls things like that to bits every day at work...

Top Bottom