Song lyrics one liners that anyone under 30 won’t understand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Funky Claude was running in and out.

If you don't know the song or the story you're clearly under 40, probably under 50.

First cords every wannabe electric guitarist of a certain age learnt.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Still just about is in certain 'Spoons' if you aren't fussy! 😆

For any others who are not TRB fans, there's a track on Power In the Darkness, released in 1978, titled 'Winter of 79', which has a line where the singer is in the future looking back nostalgically on the fictional cheap price of beer in 1979 ("a pint of beer was still ten bob"). Ten bob was miles higher than it was in 1978. i.e. that the song was implying that the economy in 1979 could be a whole lot worse than in 1978. Given the lyrics of the rest of the song, the implied forecast of beer pricing going through the roof in a year to ten bob wasn't much of a worry in comparison.

In the live album, Winter of 89, the whole song was revised to fit with the fall of the Berlin wall and the demise of various despots and the line giving the OTT beer price became "A pint of beer was still two quid".

That live album is superb. Difficult to get hold of but I found it on something called a CD in a local secondhand shop for £2.

[edited]

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Mk1 Cortina 2/6d for a pint in 1967. You could have a great Friday night out on 10/-

I recall 1966ish it being 1/9d for bitter. Mild was cheaper.......you could get well oiled for 10/-

Top Bottom