songs inspired by books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Disgruntled Goat

'When it All Comes Down' - Icicle Works.

Written after doing a tour of the US whilst reading 'On the Road' by the Memory Babe himself, Jack Kerouac.

Disgruntled Goat

'Sympathy for the Devil' written after Jagger read 'Master and the Margarita' by Aleksandar Petrović.

That's a good 'un.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Disgruntled Goat said:
No it was inspired by the 'London Fields' the place, not the book.
Not according to Damon Albarn :biggrin::

In the August, 2005 issue of Q magazine, Damon Albarn explained: "London Fields (a novel by English writer Martin Amis) inspired Parklife. That book changed my outlook on life."

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Yellow Fang said:
Which book was this inspired by? There's a book titled This Charming Man writen by Marian Keyes, but it seems to be a chick book. Also it was published in 2008.

I'm intrigued by this one too. Not something by Graham Green?
There’s a quote about a pantry boy in film, but I can’t remember which one...

Disgruntled Goat

Baggy said:
Not according to Damon Albarn :biggrin::

In the August, 2005 issue of Q magazine, Damon Albarn explained: "London Fields (a novel by English writer Martin Amis) inspired Parklife. That book changed my outlook on life."

But London Fields the book is not about life in a park. Or about London Fields for that matter.

I always understood that he wrote it after hanging out at London Fields - a park, no less. With life in it.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
The main character in the book does trundle round Hyde Park a lot though.

The book might have inspired the song but the song doesn't have to be about the book.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
mr Mag00 said:
isnt there a led zep song that mention bits of 'the lord of the rings' but is that inspired by i dunno, i cant remember the song

try most of led zep4.

Chuffy

Veteran
Iron Maiden – Stranger In A Strange Land
That Petrol Emotion - Slaughter House No 5
Transvision Vamp – Hanging Out With Halo Jones (ok, so it was a comic strip in 2000AD. Bite me…:evil: )
Hawkwind – Chronicles of the Black Sword
Beatles – Hey Jude (the Obscure) :biggrin:
Beatles – (Oliver) Twist and Shout

Disgruntled Goat

Baggy said:
The main character does trundle round Hyde Park a lot.

The book might have inspired the song, but the song doesn't have to be about the book.

But to write a song which has absolutely no relation or reference to the book it is supposedly inspired by is stretching it a bit.

I think it would be more feasible to say the book influenced the whole of the 'Parklife' album

urbanfatboy

Über Member
Yellow Fang said:
I just googled Steppenwolf the other day because I downloaded the Boney M song to my ipod. I thought it might be similar to a werewolf, but it turned out to be another arty book by Hermann Hesse.

ther other geek worthy point is that Born to be Wild by steppenwolf is the first musical use of the term 'Heavy Metal'.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Disgruntled Goat said:
But to write a song which has absolutely no relation or reference to the book it is supposedly inspired by is stretching it a bit.

I think it would be more feasible to say the book influenced the whole of the 'Parklife' album
But...that still means overall the book will have influenced that song.
And London Fields (the place) is referenced in "London Fields".

How about Can We Fix It - Neil Morrissey, Inspired by Bob the Builder, is that more straightforward :evil:

Top Bottom