Songs that make you nostalgic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Was listening to the excellent And a bang on the ear by that much under-rated band The Waterboys this morning. Have to confess that it put me in a nostalgic mood, thinking about past relationships and all the passion and pain experienced on both sides and wondering where those lovers are now. The lyrics are enough to make me sniffy:

Lindsay was my first love she was in my class
I would have loved to take her out but I was too shy to ask
The fullness of my feeling was never made clear
But I send her my love with a bang on the ear

Nora was my girl when I first was in a group
I can still see her to this day, stirring chicken soup
Now shes living in Australia working for an auctioneer

Deborah broke my heart and I the willing fool
I fell for her one summer on the road to Liverpool
I thought it was forever but it was over in a year (oh dear)
But I give her my love with a bang on the ear

The home I made with Bella became a house of pain
We weathered it together bound by a ball and chain
Is started up in Fife, and ended up in tears (oh dear)

Krista was a rover from Canada she hailed
We crossed swords in San Francisco we both lived to tell the tale
I dont know now where she is oh but if I had her here
Id give her my love with a bang on the ear

So my woman of the hearthfire, harbour of my soul
I watch you lightly sleeping and sense the dream that does unfold (like gold)
You to me are treasure, you to me are dear
So Ill give you my love with a bang on the ear

(By the way a bang on the ear is apparently a kiss on the ear in Irish banter!)

Anybody got any other nostalgic favourites?

Nostalgia by David Sylvian.
I'm not being flippant because it reminds me of a similar time in my own life, and I listened to that tune a lot.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Uncle Mort said:
When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease by Roy Harper. Reminds me of my dad - cricket and brass bands and stuff like that.

The Stones with Ruby Tuesday and 10CC with Life is a Minestrone (it was on in the pub at the time), different memories, same girl.

rh100

Rigid Raider said:
Was listening to the excellent And a bang on the ear by that much under-rated band The Waterboys this morning. Have to confess that it put me in a nostalgic mood, thinking about past relationships and all the passion and pain experienced on both sides and wondering where those lovers are now. The lyrics are enough to make me sniffy:

[

(By the way a bang on the ear is apparently a kiss on the ear in Irish banter!)

Anybody got any other nostalgic favourites?

I love that song - always wondered what that meant! didn't sound romantic.

See them live if you get chance, excellent.

tmcd35

There are sooo meny. Different songs take me back to different places and times.

The Right Stuff by New Kids On The Block sends me right back to High School music lessons. Beat It by Michael Jackson sends me back to the only time I tried being in a band - also at High School.

Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House reminds me of walking to college. It was an hour long walk. Heart FM had just started broadcasting in London and it was a regular player.

Four Seasons In One Day also by Crowded House reminds me of thier renunion concert at Hide Park a couple of years ago. Fittingly it rained very heavily as the song was finishing - I got very, very wet.

Around The Sun by R.E.M. reminds me of a partiular depressing time in my life when I was stuck in a dead and job and doing everything I can to get out. The lyrics were particuarly poignant - "Hold on world 'cause you don't know what's coming
Hold on world 'cause I'm not jumping off
Hold onto this boy a little longer
Take another trip around the sun"

Like I say, there's almost certainly million and one others (like the birdy song, thriller or shut-up ya face) that remind of people and places. Probably why a love music.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
this one my first girlfriend :tongue:

First time by Roberta Flack

The first time ever I saw your face, I thought the sun rose in your eyes
And the moon and stars were the gifts you gave
To the dark and the endless sky, my love
And the first time ever I kissed your mouth
I felt the earth move through my hands
Like the trembling heart of a captive bird
That was there at my command

And the first time ever I lay with you
I felt your heart so close to mine
And I know our joy would fill the earth
And last till the end of time, my love

The first time ever I saw your face

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Abba's album Arrival reminds me of being at home before I was sent away to boarding school.

Late punk stuff like Crass and The Subhumans brings back my friend at school who committed suicide (he was a big fan).

The Stone Roses' 'Fools Gold' evokes the lazy summer after finishing A levels...

Roy Harper, and also The Incredible String Band, remind me of my first girlfriend at university who was loopy and lovely and who I treated very badly. The Doors inevitably make me think of another woman who was very much involved with that bad treatment!

Lots of songs remind me of my previous partner, with whom things didn't work out. She made me tapes when I was far away, and things like Peter Gabriel's 'Mercy Street', Nic Jones's 'Canadee-i-o', The Go-Betweens' 'Bachelor Kisses', The Waterboys' 'December' and Decaon Blue's 'The Streets of Your Town' will probably always make me think of her.

On the other hand, Nora Jones's second album, no matter how overplayed it is, always brings back the first hot summer in Tokyo that I spent with the woman who is now my wife, and the person I was meant to be with.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Uncertain Smile by The The.

It's another First Girlfriend thing, although mine ended like this.....:tongue::tongue:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Roxy's "Virginia Plain" will forever be followed by Queen's "Killer Queen"... + there I am in the sixth form common room with Aggie Simpson shouting that we should be in the library if not in lessons [1975].

Also so many but perhaps my greatest nostalgic song is:

Too Shy by Kajagoogoo

Reminds me of a holiday to Amanzimtoti (near Durban, South Africa) in 1983 where I spent a glorious 3 weeks having fun on a waterslide in the arms of a beautiful girl. This song was playing over the music system most days.

The girl is now my wife.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
trustysteed said:
Also so many but perhaps my greatest nostalgic song is:

Too Shy by Kajagoogoo

Reminds me of a holiday to Amanzimtoti (near Durban, South Africa) in 1983 where I spent a glorious 3 weeks having fun on a waterslide in the arms of a beautiful girl. This song was playing over the music system most days.

The girl is now my wife.

Nice ending...
[Trusty, I hope this means your worries from a few weeks ago are now resolved?]

Top Bottom