Sonic Boom - Peterborough!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
My dialogue for the last few hours has been...
'Noooo, FFS, I missed it, I've never heard one'
Chatteris, probably 15 miles as the crow flies SE from Pboro...never heard a thing...gutted, absolutely gutted.
The wife was at work, she said it was so loud the ground shook, the trees wavered,the sound went right through you, the birds went mental, flying everywhere..you couldnt see a piece of clear sky, birds everywhere.
She had palpitations for 45 minutes. She had to give an injection to one of the kids..and couldnt, she was so shook up. Passed it to another member of staff.
One guy dropped his cutlery apparently and hugged his head in fright.

So so gutted.

Apparently contact was lost with an aircraft and Typhoons were scambled from Conningsby, permission given to exceed the sound barrier overland given the security implications. Contact was regainex while they were enroute.
You would love my old mates dads cottage in Wick, Scottish Highlands @gbb.

Visited on leave for a weekend, it overlooks the sea & lies at the end of a valley.

You can here the Tornados & Jag's approaching low level through the valley on training missions & then...

they are above & over you then gone...

Count...1...2... BOOM.

You can then watch for miles as they fly off over the islands in the distance, clearly in view.

As both of us were R.A.F we were kind of numb to the whole aircraft thing but this was just...

Magical.

Reactions: gbb
D

Deleted member 26715

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55636583

Unresponsive private plane flying in from Germany, 2x Tornado's scrambled to intercept, wonder if the thought was to bring it down if the pilot had not responded.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55636583

Unresponsive private plane flying in from Germany, 2x Tornado's scrambled to intercept, wonder if the thought was to bring it down if the pilot had not responded.

Small correction... they're Typhoons these days, Tornadoes retired and the F3s haven't done QRA for some years.

There are (of course) laid out and practiced policies to deal with unresponsive aircraft but it isn't as black and white as "pilot doesn't respond, aircraft gets shot down". As you might expect, the exact rules of engagement on all the various scenarios aren't made public.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
When I saw the thread title I wondered what it was about. I never heard it of course and for those of us who didn't here's another, rather splendid Sonic Boom to listen to:

D

Deleted member 26715

Small correction... they're Typhoons these days, Tornadoes retired and the F3s haven't done QRA for some years.

There are (of course) laid out and practiced policies to deal with unresponsive aircraft but it isn't as black and white as "pilot doesn't respond, aircraft gets shot down". As you might expect, the exact rules of engagement on all the various scenarios aren't made public.
dEXLEXIA get's me every time

sheddy

Legendary Member
On Cambridge radio - "I thought my child had fallen down the stairs !"

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Huge bang here. Windows shaken. I've never seen our 2 elderly cats move so fast.
I remember hearing a few sonic booms as a kid out over the north Norfolk coast, bit nothing as loud as yesterday.

Top Bottom