Son's end of term report - sense check please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
Is this attendance figure over the term or the year? IIRC he would have probably had time off towards the end of the first term, so perhaps the figure is more 'excusable'?

Bayerd

Über Member
It's not the schools' problem it's the general lack of concern amongst some parents who do little to ensure that their offspring attend school.

Schools with poor attendance are failed by OFSTED as they are reliant upon parents getting their offspring into school.

Only circumstances beyond the control of the school and its parents are accepted as legitimate excuses by OFSTED.

As I understand it, ofsted fails the school, not the parent. Therefore it's the school's problem....

Having said that, I'm not advocating taking kids out of school without very good reason, on the contrary, I believe that part of showing your offspring the right way in life is to help them understand where their priorities should lie. Taking them out of school to go on holiday during term time shouldn't be one of them. If you really want your kids to experience other cultures/ lie on a beach and burn/ cycle LEJOG with you then do it in the holidays other wise they'll grow up believing that it's ok to swan off whenever they want and accept no responsibility.

Arch

Married to Night Train
[QUOTE 1132651"]
What I really don't like, and can't fathom, is when children are rewarded for 100% attendance. What control does a 6 year old have over his attendance??
[/quote]

He might not have, but being rewarded for good stuff is a good habit to get into, isn't it? I guess even if a kid can't help being properly ill, or whatever, they can get into the habit of not whining and staying home for a sniffle, or whenever they fancy it.

I take your point though.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
As I understand it, ofsted fails the school, not the parent. Therefore it's the school's problem....

So tell me how schools can stop:

• truancy
  • condoned truancy
  • shopping trips
  • days off for birthday celebrations
  • months off for visiting overseas relatives
  • refusing to attend school without any medical justification
  • absences for trivial ailments/complaints
All of these are directly under the control of the parents yet it's the schools that face the grilling from OFSTED.

A decade or so ago I worked in a school where a pupil who was a habitual truant was found murdered six weeks after her last attendance in school. The last attendance coincided with her last GCSE examination and marked the end of her time as a pupil of the school.

The school was pilloried for not reporting her absence and for not instigating an attendance inquiry. Her mother who was a social worker who had failed to report her missing despite the fact that she had not been seen for eight weeks before her body was found barely got a mention in the local press and when she did get a mention it was in a sympathetic vein.

Somewhere along the line feckless and irresponsible parent's will have to accept responsibility for their offsprings' wellfare. Attendance and good conduct should not be for schools to accept responsibility for. Too much is expected of schools by all on the social care front.

Maz

Guru
80% attendance, if I'm right, works out at a day off a week, I don't think many employers would regard that as a good record. Don't see why it shouldn't be the same at school....
That's it in a nutshell. I'd call that 'poor' attendance, too.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My daughter once moaned as she had attended all year but had 2 half day absences marked on her record ... on her behalf I had to go in and complain ... turned out they had included the day the school was closed for elections, and on the other daughter they had also included her absence on a school residential trip.

In total one of my children managed to complete 5 years of 100% attendance but spoilt the record this year with 2 days off.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Brilliant record, that. You and your kid should be proud. Wish mine could do that.

Yes and no - it got to the point where she didn't want to take a day off when I thought she should. And I think some children are more prone to bugs than others.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes and no - it got to the point where she didn't want to take a day off when I thought she should. And I think some children are more prone to bugs than others.

My son has this sort of record, wrecked by a bully that the school won't sort properly................ argh..............

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I noticed on another thread that you mentioned that you are keeping him off school ... what year in school is he ... is it worth getting him swapped into another class for the new school year? I know a friend who did that but eventually ended up moving school too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I noticed on another thread that you mentioned that you are keeping him off school ... what year in school is he ... is it worth getting him swapped into another class for the new school year? I know a friend who did that but eventually ended up moving school too.

Erm Our Primary Schools aren't big enough - one class per year in every school....... He is Year four going into five................ so time is tight.................

We are taking advice, either stick with it, with a 'bully record' or jump schools, but the possible 'new' school want's to speak to the head which is fine..... as it's 'never' happened before from the particular school........ i.e. we are stubborn gits................ :whistle:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Erm Our Primary Schools aren't big enough - one class per year in every school....... He is Year four going into five................ so time is tight.................

We are taking advice, either stick with it, with a 'bully record' or jump schools, but the possible 'new' school want's to speak to the head which is fine..... as it's 'never' happened before from the particular school........ i.e. we are stubborn gits................ :whistle:

Small schools - are you out in the countryside ... round here its normally 60 or 90 in a school year, and one school is going to have 120 in a school year next year - too big I think.

Do you know anything about the reputation of the teacher in the next class? As the teacher's attitude can be very influential to how the school year flows. If you have heard bad things about their discipline / class control then I would seriously consider the jumping ship option.

I was talking with a teenager just this last week who changed schools due to bullying ... her old teacher arranged for her and the bully to meet up, she realised he had problems as a new kid in her old school making friends. They are still friends 4 years on but she doesn't regret the change of school.

I read this on your thread Fossy but never replied there. If it's bullying work through it, if it's standards of education move schools. Bullying needs to be handled carefully by the school in a non-confrontational way and good guides exist about how to do it. It could be the school doesn't have it's policy implemented correctly or even have a good policy. Be pro-active about this and though it takes effort, you have to contact them frequently, every day if necessary and talk to your son and give his feedback back to the class teacher and head. It will take time and effort but you have to solve it this way and not let the school shirk responsibility.

Crankarm

Guru

Fossy I reckon you should go visit a solicitor (first half hour free) or ring up the CTC's legal people if you have membership and get them to send the school and governors a nasty letter that they will be sued. I would put money on that sorting the bullying problem. Even if it costs a little bit it has to be moeny well spent IMHO if nothing else but to get a little revenge on the school for the incompetence at dealing with the issue. Also contact the police and make an allegation on behalf of your son that the bully assaulted him which he did by smacking him in the stomach.

Top Bottom