Sony MP3 player; not compatible with Windows 10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have just bought this Sony MP3 player (NWZ-B183). I cannot transfer songs to it from either Windows media player (version 12, the latest), or I-Tunes (never expected it to work with I-Tunes, but why not WMP?). I have tried all the suggestions I can find on the Sony site and Windows too regarding using the reset function, and turning off the laptop and switching back on again. I have an older but larger Sony MP3 (I prefer them to I-Pods) which works fine.
I found one review on the Curry's website which claims that this model is not compatible with Windows 10, but on the box it just says that system requirements are Windows 8, and Windows Vista SP2 or later. Am I being thick and missing something obvious (quite possible as I'm not very techie), or do I need to give up and return it?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Can your laptop see the player as just a drive? If so can you just drag and drop music files into it?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Can your laptop see the player as just a drive? If so can you just drag and drop music files into it?
Something is recognised when I plug it in, as the panel in WMP is showing that a Walkman device is connected. When I drag and drop a playlist into the box for syncing, and then "start sync" it does appear to be doing it, i.e. I get the percentage complete countdown thing. But then when I try to play music on the MP3 it says "No songs available. Transfer songs."

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
According to the customer reviews on Curry's site, you are not the only one who has problems.
Also, it appears to dislike playlists.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Bought THIS ONE for my 10yr old a few months ago.
upload_2016-10-20_11-4-21.png

I put the 1st few tracks on for him then left him to it. Pretty sure we just dragged & dropped from file to file as Ian suggested.

From the sony site

How to transfer music, videos and photos onto your Walkman
It’s quick and easy to transfer files to your Walkman using drag and drop. It works with a wide range of file types including MP3, WMA and photos from your digital camera.

Files with DRM (Digital Rights Management) copyright protection won’t play if you transfer them using drag and drop. If your Walkman supports files with DRM, they will only work if you transfer them using MediaGo, or for models from 2008 and earlier, Windows Media Player. To see if your Walkman supports DRM files, check the manual.

Most playlists wont work on anything other than the device it was created on. Variables change and internal file structures are different from different manufactures

Drag and drop with Windows
  1. Connect your Walkman to the computer using the USB cable that came with the Walkman. It should appear as an additional drive on your computer
  2. Open the Walkman drive on your computer
  3. In another window, open the folder on your computer where the content files you want to transfer to your Walkman are saved
  4. Select the files you want to put onto your Walkman, then drag and drop them into the appropriate folder in the Walkman window

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
instead of going through WMP.
Try drive to drive.

ie open player as a file, open music files folder. Then open your music folder on your laptop, then drag and drop.
It would appear that my laptop is not recognising the MP3 player as a file. Certainly nothing coming up when I "search devices" with it plugged in. It shouldn't be complicated; it's going back!

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
From the sony site

Most playlists wont work on anything other than the device it was created on. Variables change and internal file structures are different from different manufactures
Does all this mean that I need to install MediaGo, then transfer all my music to that, then from MediaGo to the MP3? Sounds like a bit of a faff to me, not being blessed with a lot of patience :whistle:.

Top Bottom