Sora brake calipers (3x8 speed brifters) - compatible upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
Asking in here 'cos I'm not sure what the series is, guess like the newer Claris? I'm "repurposing" an old 3x8 Sora drivetrain onto a bike for SWMBO but my OCD is insisting I do away with the sub-tektro (colour mis-matched) calipers, so it comes down to finding a compatable caliper...
I'm looking to replace either with black Sora of the same/newer generation or something like older 105 black calipers, but I'm unsure which will work regarding the cable pull; can anyone give me a steer? Also expressing an interest if anyone has a pair lying around doing nothing... :okay:

si_c

Guru
You'll probably fine with any caliper you choose - there are some changes to the amount of cable pull in Shimano road levers and the rate of change of that pull as calipers get closer to the rim. That being said any brake will work it will be more about the modulation and setup of the brake - you may find you need to tweak the pad distance from the rim a bit to get good braking and it may not feel as controlled as a new lever set.

faster

Über Member
If you like your wife, I'd suggest you don't bother with anything less than 105 or Ultegra calipers from the 5800/6800 series or R7000/R8000 series.

Earlier, non-dual pivot calipers from Shimano are in my experience not very good - especially if braking from the hoods. Poor in the dry and if it rains, you're better of dragging your feet along the ground to slow down, even if good pads are fitted.

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
If you like your wife, I'd suggest you don't bother with anything less than 105 or Ultegra calipers from the 5800/6800 series or R7000/R8000 series.

Earlier, non-dual pivot calipers from Shimano are in my experience not very good - especially if braking from the hoods. Poor in the dry and if it rains, you're better of dragging your feet along the ground to slow down, even if good pads are fitted.

Yeah plan is to upgrade & improve if possible; looks like I need 58mm drop so it'll be governed by that now, expect I'll be able to pick up some older 105s for not too much money.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve just picked a pair of 105 5800 brand new for £50. Brilliant brakes. You’ll notice a huge difference

33309058-8-D1-F-4-AB9-9-C78-A21-FD1377-E44.jpg

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Or try non series Shimano BR-R561, very good value for money and almost identical to Sora.

s-l1000.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
105’s are indeed a brilliant upgrade, I fitted a pair on my Tiagra spec Giant, but they don’t do long drop calipers in that range

Yup, picked up some BR-R561 long drops from the LBS, see how they perform on the frankenbike... :laugh:

Top Bottom