Sore bum after a long ride :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazzarino

Hey all pretty much still a newbie to road cycling. I bought a Carrera TDF 2011 edition back in 2011. I did get into it a bit back then but I haven't been out of it for a couple of years. I got it out yesterday sorted it for a ride and rode 27miles. The problem I have is that when I go out on a long ride (25miles+) which is long for me, I get a sore ass afterwords. Is this normal? I don't know if it that I don't have my bike set up right for me. Shortly after I bought my bike I had this problem back then and I changed the racing saddle that came with it to a more wider (what I thought would be a more comfortable saddle), it still hurt after. I have bought padded cycling shorts... Still no joy! Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance :-)

Dave 123

Legendary Member
No.
Your bum isn't used to it. A ride like that to the untrained rear end will always end in soreness. Keep getting out, you'll get a tougher rear!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Check that you've got that saddle set up at the right height and angle; it should be flat or slightly up at the nose so that your sit bones are cupped and your weight is shared between saddle and handlebars.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I would advise you to go on shorter rides to allow your backside to gradually get used to being on a saddle. Shorter rides 3 or 4 times a week will be better. Gradually your backside will get used to the saddle and you can go further for longer. If it doesn't get better, I would suggest you go to your LBS and get properly measured as the saddle may be the wrong one for you. Good luck.

And welcome to the forum

RebornBumbler

1 You may have entirely the wrong saddle for you (and it's not easy to find the right saddle...)
2 The pad in your shorts and/or the padding on your saddle might well be adding to the problem (you might be 'sinking' into the padding placing weight where it shouldn't be)
3 When you have the right shorts and saddle, your bum still needs to get used to it - which takes a while

Saddle width is a pretty basic parameter that you can get close to - just get some thick corrugated cardboard, put it on a nice flat surface (kitchen top) and sit on it leaning forward as required, as if riding; you should be able to see two dents in the cardboard where your 'sit bones' are, and should then be looking for a saddle not much wider than the distance between the two dent centres.

Everything else about the saddle is going to be guesswork/experimentation unless you've got a local bike shop with some fancy pressure-mapping gear or lots of mates with various saddles that don't mind you borrowing them for hours at a time...

It's probably the trickiest thing to get right - but out of the three areas (saddle/shorts/bum), shorts is definitely the easiest to get right (though still not a cheap process - I've ended up with three pairs - one are good for about 20 miles, one for 30 or so, and one for 60 - total cost around £160 :sad: )

mick1836

Über Member
A forum search found me this thread hence this question, surely the weight of the ride must have detrimental effect especially if the rider is slightly :whistle: over weight?
Although as I have previously posted having lost 8½ stone I still have a little way to go hence the cycling, hoping as the weight falls off that small contact point between me and my saddle will have lesser weight to support?

GuyBoden

Guru
A forum search found me this thread hence this question, surely the weight of the ride must have detrimental effect especially if the rider is slightly :whistle: over weight?
Although as I have previously posted having lost 8½ stone I still have a little way to go hence the cycling, hoping as the weight falls off that small contact point between me and my saddle will have lesser weight to support?

Yes, I agree, I had no problems with saddles when I was young and about 11 stone, but now at 15+ stone, I need to get out of the saddle more. I try to get out of the saddle every 15-30 mins.

Last edited:

johnnyb47

Guru
Well done on your bike ride buddy. That a very respectable distance if you've not done alot recently. I would personally begin with going out for a few shorter rides to start with just like the op suggested and get your back side used to sitting on a bike seat..It doesn't take long before it feels more comfortable. Last year when i started cycling again my ass was suffering after only ten miles and dread to think how it would of been after 27!!
It didn't take long though before it got better and now i don't give it a second thought..

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Just a matter of riding regularly to toughen up the appropriate areas in my opinion. My backside is now so leathery, it doesn't seem to matter what I'm sat on.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Just a matter of riding regularly to toughen up the appropriate areas in my opinion. My backside is now so leathery, it doesn't seem to matter what I'm sat on.
I was surprised at how quickly it "lost condition" after a couple of months of very little riding. I was really suffering after the first long ride when I eventually got back on the bike.

Hey all pretty much still a newbie to road cycling. I bought a Carrera TDF 2011 edition back in 2011. I did get into it a bit back then but I haven't been out of it for a couple of years. I got it out yesterday sorted it for a ride and rode 27miles. The problem I have is that when I go out on a long ride (25miles+) which is long for me, I get a sore ass afterwords. Is this normal? I don't know if it that I don't have my bike set up right for me. Shortly after I bought my bike I had this problem back then and I changed the racing saddle that came with it to a more wider (what I thought would be a more comfortable saddle), it still hurt after. I have bought padded cycling shorts... Still no joy! Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance :-)
It's perfectly normal to get this. You can spend lots of money on saddles, and not get a comfy ride, the best way to get over this, is to keep riding. Eventually you will find that you toughen up a bit, and find a saddle that suits you. It's to do with how you distribute and support your weight. The more conditioned to distances you get, the less weight you will support, and for less time, through the saddle. Concentrate on getting a good comfy chamois, as your first option.

I realised how the type of saddle can have an effect last week.

Did a not-that-long 17-18 mile ride in to work but on a folding bike, more upright position an one of those stupid wide inappropriately-named "comfort saddle" things
No-one said "good morning" to me because the way that I was walking in they probably thought I would say "don't say it's a fine morning or I'll shoot ya" (John Wayne)

Wider saddle does not necessarily equate to more comfortable. It is usually the opposite.

adamangler

Veteran
When I started out I was convinced I needed a different saddlle and I tried quite a few but i still got a sore ass.

After a while I realised my ass simply needed to get used to any saddle. So keep riding and your posterior will get used to it.

I always use a good lathering of sudacream on every ride which helps a lot.

ayceejay

Guru
I have passed these words of wisdom on through many waves of new cyclists and the thanks have always been loud and strong, As a member of a rowing ream our crew suffered similar soreness in the hands and the way to harden them to the task was a generous splash of methylate spirits. Please try this on your rear end and let me know how you get on
without swear words if poss,

Top Bottom