Sore bum after a long ride :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

damj

Not a scientific response from me. Ride more, it'll be fine! This drew a raised eyebrows and a look of distane at my LBS a couple of weeks back, the owner was honest enough to say he makes lots of money out of sore ar5£5

Thank god you didn't say what gender you are.

I'd second the advice above about checking that you have the right width of saddle.

After that, compare the padding under the sit bones to other saddles.

I find that too hard and too soft are both bad, the first for maybe obvious reasons, the second because your bum will sink through the padding to the body of the saddle.

I find that old selle royal saddles are good, maybe the new ones as well.

One important point, as I see it - no reason to pay a lot to get a comfortable saddle. The cheap ones can be as good as or even better than the expensive fancifully shaped ones.

Do report back.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
When I first started cycling longer distances, my backside was killing me. My bum gradually got more used to long periods of time in the saddle as I did more and more rides. Now I never get bum pain and my backside is so tough that I could sit on a saddle made of upturned nails and still be comfortable. As everyone else is saying, just a matter of getting used to long periods of time in the saddle.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's true that the more you ride, the longer your rear end will be able to withstand the rigours of a bicycle saddle. But here's the thing - the more you ride the longer you are able to ride. And so, sadly, your bum's resistance will forever lag your legs' endurance. Thus the latter parts of your rides will forever be tormented.

My experience, anyway.

lpretro1

Sudocreme is good to use and way cheaper instead of proprietary brands and has antiseptic qualities as it is normally used for nappy rash - found in baby aisle in supermarket

GuyBoden

Guru
This is what I find perplexing, regular cycling eventually toughens the skin on your rear. But, adding creams to your rear makes it softer again.................. :banghead:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This is what I find perplexing, regular cycling eventually toughens the skin on your rear. But, adding creams to your rear makes it softer again.................. :banghead:

I think you're missing the point. It's not your skin which causes the pain when cycling and while I imagine it does become tougher this will not even be close to solving the problem.

Secondly the point of using a cream is to protect the skin from chaffing and potential saddle sores. Personally I only find creams of value when cycling long distances in high temperatures.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's true that the more you ride, the longer your rear end will be able to withstand the rigours of a bicycle saddle. But here's the thing - the more you ride the longer you are able to ride. And so, sadly, your bum's resistance will forever lag your legs' endurance. Thus the latter parts of your rides will forever be tormented.

My experience, anyway.
I've never heard this suggestion before. I regularly ride 80+ miles with my club and increase this to 100+ on occasions. I must know 40-50 of our 200 members - I've never heard any of them complain of a sore backside.

A sore bum is about correct saddles, wide and soft should be avoided, seating position and decent shorts.

GuyBoden

Guru
I think you're missing the point. It's not your skin which causes the pain when cycling and while I imagine it does become tougher this will not even be close to solving the problem.

Secondly the point of using a cream is to protect the skin from chaffing and potential saddle sores. Personally I only find creams of value when cycling long distances in high temperatures.

Also, it depends on your skin type, some skin types are more prone to pores getting blocked and so causing sores, just ask a dermatologist.
http://www.over40cyclist.com/saddle-sores/

saddle-sores1.jpg

Top Bottom