Sore Hands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kobie

Hi folks,

I got a new 'proper' bike 3 weeks ago and naturally I've been doing a lot of cycling since then. Most of the aches and pains you'd expect for a beginner have disappeared, but I've still got a slight problem with pains in my hands.

More precisely I've got a slight twinge at the base of my thumbs & I'd like to know if it's due to my posture or incorrectly placed handlebars.

I've looked around and can't find anything on how to correctly place my hands on the handlebars. My bars are the straight type and I tend to ride with my thumbs along the back of the handlebars and my other fingers resting on the brakes.

So can anybody give me any pointers? Cheers.

chris42

have a look on the Specialized web site.
They do a range of gloves to stop this pain in the nerves but they have diagrames of why the pain is caused.
One thing to remember is don't grip the bars to hard. as this can cause pain and tiredness

Blonde

Try simply resting your palms (with fnger and thumbs gently curved round and together) on the top of the bar rather than actually 'holding' it between your palm and thumb - until you need to squeeze the brakes of course, then you can just drop your thumbs back to behind the bar. Also do you have bar ends? If not perhaps fit some and use them to get a different hand position and relieve pressure.

domtyler

Über Member
Just shift hand position frequently, on the tops, on the hoods, on the drops, etc. The root of the problem is likely to be poor core strength though, that will increase with more cycling.

Keith Oates

Janner
One other thing besides those mentioned above is to try to keep you weight off the hands by keeping the arms bent and flexible. With practice you can also take more weight off by learning to hold your body up with the other muscles and not the arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you wearing gloves? if not, then get some. if you are, you might have rubbish grips... or ones that don't suit you. if the grips are too thick it can cause pain.

it could be that you're still not used to it yet.

the bars should be a few inches below the saddle height, too low and you will be putting too much pressure on your arms/hands, so make sure the bars aren't too low... also check you're not overstretching to reach them.

it might be worth going back to the shop and asking them to check out your position.

or get some gloves.

L

OP
OP
K

Kobie

Thanks for the tips folks. I was out for a long (120km) trip on Saturday &
though the problem is still there it doesn't seem so bad. So, I'll see how it goes & see if I just get used to the positioning.

I'm due to take the bike in for a check-up in a few weeks so I'll get them to double check my posture then. Gloves might also be an option as I do seem to naturally put pressure on the base of my thumbs.

Cheers,
K.

Blonde

Were you given a proper 'bike fit' when you got the bike? By that I mean more than just measuring you. Did you sit on the bike and have them set it up to suit you, or have them actually watch you test ride it? I ask because it could be that you're putting too much weight on your hands due to a too-low riding position. You may find that simply raising the stem/bar or possibly fitting a shorter stem helps a lot.

OP
OP
K

Kobie

@Blonde Yes I was fitted for the bike, but I they didn't watch me test ride it which might have been a good idea. I think you're right about the stem - I'll give it a few more weeks to be sure though.

@ivancarlos Sorry, I don't know the correct name, but they're basically flat mountain bike style bars with no bends. I've a set of bar ends too that give some relief.

I've read and been told that my wrists shouldn't be bent whilst riding, but in order to do that it's necessary to put a lot of weight on the base of the thumb which is where the problem arises.

Thanks guys,
K.

bonj2

Kobie -they're just called 'flat' bars.
As others have said, get gloves. Get ones with padding around the heel of the hand area, also called padding for the 'ulnar' nerve, the compression of which is what's causing your soreness.
Could also try getting specialized BG grips which are contoured to give your hand a more ergonomic position, £7 iirc off wiggle.
Also try getting some bar ends ('bull horns' as some people call them) - pick them up for a couple of quid from decathlon. As much as anything else they enable you to vary your hand position on a ride.

OP
OP
K

Kobie

Thanks bonj - my vocabulary failed me completely. I do have bar ends & they certainly help but you're right about the gloves. I'll see if I an pick up a pair this weekend.

Top Bottom