Soundbars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Opinions from those who have, worth it / not worth it, do you plug in your TV or Sky box?

Not bothered about music quality more to give more clarity to spoken word in TV programmes.

Watching something American called Briarpatch at the moment and I seem to be getting one word in three with the TV on volume 70!! Can watch UK news with it on 6!

Yes, we have a LG one, not expensive, maybe under £80 a few years ago, and made a world of difference to the TV mounted speakers.
Connected optically.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Yes, absolutely, and a little sub. too.

OTOH the little Roku soundbar is getting great reviews, and if greater clarity is what you are seeking is probably all you need.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They are definitely worth it unless your TV has pretty good internal speakers, which most don't.

I bought mine 6 years ago at a bargain price but improved models are available now. If I could afford to buy a better one I would and would use the current one with a turbo trainer TV/monitor.

Mine uses an optical link from the TV.

Some smart tech trickery switches the soundbar on/off with the TV and the soundbar responds to the TV volume control so I could do away with the soundbar remote, but I don't because it has extra controls for bass/treble/sub woofer which I sometimes adjust.

Drago

Legendary Member
I also have an LG sound bar.

TV manufacturers aren't daft. They deliberstely make new TV's sound crap so they can sell the buyer a sound bar too.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Thanks to all, I guess I'll get one with the money saved not being able to go to the pub🍺🍺
As a handy tip that may be worth considering. My Dad uses PC speakers - quite expensive ones, not cheapo Logitech jobs, and they sound much better than a soundbar for about the same price as a moderately decent soundbar. Not feasible if your tv is wall mounted, but a viable alternative if its free standing.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
As a handy tip that may be worth considering. My Dad uses PC speakers - quite expensive ones, not cheapo Logitech jobs, and they sound much better than a soundbar for about the same price as a moderately decent soundbar. Not feasible if your tv is wall mounted, but a viable alternative if its free standing.

Wall mounted, just actually wondering where I would put it??

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Well, the sub could go under the table next to the dog statue and a sound bar might fit on the shelf where the ornaments are

Don't think I would bother with the sub, it's only for clarity so don't need loads of base.

The shelf with Mrs. Chislenko's ornaments is actually a fire! If they can be wall mounted I could mount it between the bottom of the TV and the top of the fire. That is only a false plasterboard chimney breast affair which I built. Doing it that way I could continue with my fixation of having no wires showing.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Another option is an amp and floor standing speakers. I got a used amp for 25 quid, speakers were 99. They can actually look nice standing either side of your chimney breast. And because they're bigger, you tend to get a bigger sound without higher volume. Also use mine to Bluetooth music to from my phone. I've never had a soundbar though so can't compare the two

Top Bottom