south downs tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
Starting from Winchester 7 june me and a mate tackling this route in 3 days. Any useful tips inc Accom en route would be very much appreciated.

Norm

One of the members here has done a fab website for the SDW. Can't find it, or him, at the mo and I've gotta dash now, will check more later.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
yep - if it rains go steady, wet chalk is like ice. Watch out for diversions from mapped route.

likely to be lots of walkers about too, if weather is nice esp in Sussex, looks like you've picked a weekend without any big organised events

good info here - http://www.bikedowns.co.uk/ but seems to be down at present

Gary P

Über Member
The Youth Hostel at Truleigh Hill above Brighton is great and right on the SDW. There's another at Patcham. Staying anywhere near Brighton or Lewes is an arm and a leg. If you're in Lewes, try the Snowdrop Inn for food and drink or if in Brighton the Prestonville Arms in Brigden Street/Hamilton Road where you can always get a seat and has a garden out back to park your bikes.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Gary P said:
The Youth Hostel at Truleigh Hill above Brighton is great and right on the SDW. There's another at Patcham. Staying anywhere near Brighton or Lewes is an arm and a leg. If you're in Lewes, try the Snowdrop Inn for food and drink or if in Brighton the Prestonville Arms in Brigden Street/Hamilton Road where you can always get a seat and has a garden out back to park your bikes.

Above Shoreham rather than Brighton surely? But it is vay convenient for the SDW being one of the few places you can stay at that is on the tops.

OP
OP
albal

albal

Guru
Thank you Greg , that is exactly what i was searching. A great site, full of detail.
Hoping the weather stays ok ish.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Truleigh would be at about 60(?) miles. Is that a convenient stop - leaving you 40 on the last day...

... or 40 over the last 2 days!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
still got to do Devils Dyke to the end with the two semi cylcing b-i-l-ateers at some point soon so we can start on this year's SDW over three weekends. How far is that roughly?

OP
OP
albal

albal

Guru
Got to Lewes where 4 spokes were required, my colleague had a front brake problem, No rooms available below £100. By 1900hr we had to make a decision, and boarded train home :angel: (we had no camping gear).

A great tough ride which WILL be completed in 2011.

Norm

Bugger. That is a shame. Congrats for the decision to pull, though, it's a bastid tough one to make.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
albal said:
Got to Lewes where 4 spokes were required, my colleague had a front brake problem, No rooms available below £100. By 1900hr we had to make a decision, and boarded train home :biggrin: (we had no camping gear).

A great tough ride which WILL be completed in 2011.

A tough call but a good one. You don't want to drop in Alfriston with a dodgy front brake

rich p

ridiculous old lush
GregCollins said:
still got to do Devils Dyke to the end with the two semi cylcing b-i-l-ateers at some point soon so we can start on this year's SDW over three weekends. How far is that roughly?

I would guess about 35m.

duncanp

Starting from Winchester 7 june me and a mate tackling this route in 3 days. Any useful tips inc Accom en route would be very much appreciated.

Try starting in Winchester at 4a.m. and keep going. If you reach Eastbourne before 21.30 you will have beaten my time last year!

The really fast MTB'ers can do it 8.a.m. - 15.00 - unbelievable!

Top Bottom