England : Avon South Glos 100 - 6th May 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tilley

Über Member
The 105 mile ride for Bloodline I mention is a solitary ride I have planned and not an organised event.
If you want more detail I have set up a just giving page

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Timothy-Lilley1

Cheers

Tilley

Last edited:

Always Cross

Veteran
Can someone help me I've tried down loading the gps route for this. One is for routes one is for track and the other is txc. The track is 60miles and the route is 69 miles can anyone tell me why there is a difference and which one should I use?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Can someone help me I've tried down loading the gps route for this. One is for routes one is for track and the other is txc. The track is 60miles and the route is 69 miles can anyone tell me why there is a difference and which one should I use?
Actually, it is the other way round - the track is 69 miles and the route is 60 miles.

The reason for the difference is that the track is very detailed and follows every twist and turn in the road. The route is much simplified, just showing you the turns with straight lines in between, no matter what the road is actually doing.

The reason for that is probably because some older GPS devices have limited memory. My old Garmin Etrex soon runs out of ROUTE memory so when I plotted routes, I had to simplify them to get them to fit the available memory.

I then discovered that I had many times more TRACK memory so I started using tracks instead. Having said that, I am still limited to about 500 track points and that track file has over 5,000 points. I would have to simplify it down to less than 500 points, but that would still give a very good representation of the roads in question.

My device is very unsophisticated so I don't use turn by turn instructions. Tracks suit me. I just see a 'breadcrumb trail' on my screen and follow that.

Look up the spec for your GPS device. If it can take 5,000-plus trackpoints in one track then you can probably use the track as it is. If it has limited memory then you will have to simplify the track. There are websites and programs available to do that. I prefer to do it manually using my mapping software because the automated way of doing it sometimes chucks away important points such as at junctions.

Top Bottom