South Manchester - Derbyshire route suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Next month I am meeting up with some friends for a week-end's climbing in the Peak District. I've worked out how I'm going to get from one side of Manchester to the other and I'm happy with it.

I've also worked out a route from Heaton Norris to Stoney Middleton (where we'll be staying) and I would appreciate it if those of you familiar with the area could suggest any improvements.

I'll be riding during 'office hours' so I'll miss rush hour, though riding in traffic doesn't bother me. If, however, there's a more peaceful, interesting or scenic route I'd rather take it. I don't mind hills and I'll have all day to get there. My proposed route is here:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1350811

Opinions / alterations / suggestions (e.g. cafes, pubs, lunch stops, etc.) all welcome.

Many thanks, STaSS

400bhp

Guru
Rather than go through Chapel en le frith why not try chinley (slightly north of your route)?

potsy

Rambler
Watch out on Tiviot way Stass, right near the start of your route, not a great road to be cycling down, though there is a cycle subway alongside it I think.

You could always have blast up brinny hill and set a Strava time seeing as you're so close to it :thumbsup:

Thanks, Potsy. It's an area I've never cycled through and I'd like to get as much local knowledge as I can. It seems I could do one of the following:

Follow my original route but avoid Tiviot Way by going down B6167 Lancashire Hill, join A560 @ Knightsbridge and work my way over to St Mary's Way at some point;​
OR
Stick to the A6 Wellington Rd all the way into Stockport and turn left onto A560 Gt Egerton St, Knightsbridge, etc.​
OR
None of the above :wacko:

If you - or anyone else - has any views on the matter I'd be pleased to hear them.

potsy

Rambler
I'd go plan A, down Lancashire hill, left at the bottom, follow the road and go straight on at the lights, that'll take you onto millgate/New bridge lane where you can then turn right onto St Mary's way.

A6 is not a great place to be cycling, especially at rush hour :thumbsup:

JozeeB

Regular
Thanks, Potsy. It's an area I've never cycled through and I'd like to get as much local knowledge as I can. It seems I could do one of the following:

Follow my original route but avoid Tiviot Way by going down B6167 Lancashire Hill, join A560 @ Knightsbridge and work my way over to St Mary's Way at some point;​
OR
Stick to the A6 Wellington Rd all the way into Stockport and turn left onto A560 Gt Egerton St, Knightsbridge, etc.​
OR
None of the above :wacko:

If you - or anyone else - has any views on the matter I'd be pleased to hear them.
I'd avoid the A6 if you can so go with the Lanc Hill route. A6 scares the sh*t out of me!! The only time I'll touch the A6 is very early on a sunday morning!!

Top Bottom