South of France - March - April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanJarvis57

I will be in the south of France mid March to mid April and I wanted to try and get a Tour-de-France climb in at some point, could be in the Alps or Southern Pyrenees but I'm not sure which ones would possible that time of year. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Alan

CXRAndy

Guru
You would have to check, almost daily to see which climbs become open for traffic. Could well be snow at that time high up

Ventoux being more of an "island" rather than part of a range will probably be a good bet. Snow this year is late though unless we're talking about 2000m and above (Ventoux is 1900m though...). In any case the road will be open, even now so there's nothing stopping you riding up it. I often ride through deeply snowed areas but as long as the roads are clear and the weather reasonable then you'll be fine.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Ventoux being more of an "island" rather than part of a range will probably be a good bet. Snow this year is late though unless we're talking about 2000m and above (Ventoux is 1900m though...). In any case the road will be open, even now so there's nothing stopping you riding up it. I often ride through deeply snowed areas but as long as the roads are clear and the weather reasonable then you'll be fine.
I don't know that March and April would be ideal for cycling up Mont Ventoux. I've been up there in summer, and the wind can be fierce! This chart says that March and April are among the windiest months up there: https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/historyclimate/climatemodelled/mont-ventoux_france_2970031 , and some other sites state similar.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I guess Mt Ventoux is unlikely then but perhaps Alpe d Huez would be possible in early April, or too much snow?
Probably the latter.
https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Alpe_d_Huez_snow_history.html

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Alpe d'Huez is probably a good idea.
It's a ski station access road, so it will be kept clear as much as possible. Poor weather could still stop you riding up, but by April a couple of sunny days should clear off anything on the road.

I would suggest that afternoons could be better than early morning though. One thing that does happen is that you get meltwater running out of roadside snow banks, which then freezes into ice overnight.

Another suggestion would be further south - Col de Turini?

Top Bottom