Southampton Skyride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slugonabike

I have cycled in small groups but still get very nervous with someone alongside me. This seems like a good way of gaining a bit more confidence. I can do as much or as little as I want and know I won't have to contend with other traffic whilst worrying about wobbling into another cyclist (guess I'm still a POB really:blush:).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have cycled in small groups but still get very nervous with someone alongside me. This seems like a good way of gaining a bit more confidence. I can do as much or as little as I want and know I won't have to contend with other traffic whilst worrying about wobbling into another cyclist (guess I'm still a POB really:blush:).

Nah - you don't sound like it ... a POB is more a disregard for others and the highway code (well my take on it is), I can't quite define it but I wouldn't want to be in that subset of cyclists. Its the ones that bring us into disrepute.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No, you're a real cyclist. I think anyone who pedals is a real cyclist, but even if that weren't the case, the fact that you care enough about cycling to hang out on this forum would prove your real cyclist status to anyone.

Try the following tests:

1. Are your brake actually connected to a cable and in contact withthe wheel?
2. Is the chain actually able to move
3. Are the wheels round and wobble less than 6 inches laterally
4. Are the forks the right way round.

If so you are definitely a cyclist and not a POB

If you see a bearded guy on a silver recumbent trike and flying a saltire - don't forget to say hello - I enjoy speaking to fellow forummers and cyclists!

slugonabike

Try the following tests:

1. Are your brake actually connected to a cable and in contact withthe wheel?
2. Is the chain actually able to move
3. Are the wheels round and wobble less than 6 inches laterally
4. Are the forks the right way round.

If so you are definitely a cyclist and not a POB

If you see a bearded guy on a silver recumbent trike and flying a saltire - don't forget to say hello - I enjoy speaking to fellow forummers and cyclists!

Not only are my brakes connected to cables, I actually managed to change a cable recently! Will keep my eyes open for you - you'll prolly be easier to spot on the recumbent than we will.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
That's a bit unfair. This ride isn't aimed at the regular commuter, but it may encourage a few people to drag that unused bike out of the shed and ride in company. I'm doing the Southampton one on the 29th as I want to drag the old lady and her bike out of the shed. Also sounds a pretty ride.

First post, eh? :whistle: Pretty ride? Its mainly used by buses and taxis. The park itself is alright however. Though you're not usually allowed to ride through it.

Not only are my brakes connected to cables, I actually managed to change a cable recently! Will keep my eyes open for you - you'll prolly be easier to spot on the recumbent than we will.

Good enough for me.... unless you have a single pannier

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Good enough for me.... unless you have a single pannier

I always have a single pannier on normal day to day rides - ... are you telling me I'm a POB?:eek:
eek.gif
cry.gif
I will never be able to show my face in public again:biggrin:

I hear what is being said about the route and the condition of some of the surfaces, and I do have mixed feelings about these rides,

It is not ideal and could be a lot better, however it is a first and therefore some leniency should be allowed. There will be lots of motor centric voices speaking against this event happening at all. It was always going to be a compromise.

My other pragmatic side says, OK, put up with it but lets make it a success. Turn out in large numbers have a fantastic day and get cycling on the TV screens as a family event

If we can do this - Then we have a strong bargaining position to extend / improve and redesign next years route.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I hear what is being said about the route and the condition of some of the surfaces, and I do have mixed feelings about these rides,

It is not ideal and could be a lot better, however it is a first and therefore some leniency should be allowed. There will be lots of motor centric voices speaking against this event happening at all. It was always going to be a compromise.

My other pragmatic side says, OK, put up with it but lets make it a success. Turn out in large numbers have a fantastic day and get cycling on the TV screens as a family event

If we can do this - Then we have a strong bargaining position to extend / improve and redesign next years route.

My Bro and Father (who rarely ride) keep asking me to go down and join in. Then I looked at the weather report last night and saw a forecast for heavy rain showers. :blush:

Top Bottom