Southampton Skyride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes - we are just back too ... maybe post some photos later. Met Hilldodger and had a go on his bikes - I've tried similar before and knew I can't do the reverse steering one, but love the bike with a joint in the middle - and had a go on the little penny bike. Managed a couple of times around - my middle child seemed to be on a secret mission to see how many bottles of drink she could gather!!! They had a go at the timed slalom course too.

One of them would have carried on going around but the other two children, especially the eldest (she was suffering from electronic withdrawal problems), wanted to get home. Parking was fine ... but I wasn't convinced on how much warning they had given to the Bath residents that bits of it would be shut... for example there was nothing on the road by the Newbridge P+R road to say that it was closed off only 200 m ahead.

slugonabike

Back from Southampton. A bit of drizzle initially on the journey in but that soon stopped and the cloud lifted as the day went on. We parked up about 4.5k from the actual circuit and the route in was well signposted (but not marshalled as advertised). I had to walk up a couple of hills, felt a bit green and wondered if I'd make a big mistake. Joined the circuit and found that it was flat and easy. Lots of familes with free-range kids on their little bikes so a bit of caution was needed - and we didn't feel that everyone was necessarily respecting that. Did 1.5 circuits and then stopped to look at the 'entertainment'. Saw Vicky P being interviewed and spotted Cunobelin's trike so had a chat with him (he was gallant enough to ignore the fact that I got his forum name wrong :blush: ). Completed the 2nd circuit and headed back to the car, stopping for something to eat and drink en route. Again had to walk a couple of hills on the way back and felt a bit disheartened.

The day was, on the whole, good humoured, lots of marshals around, we thanked as many as we could.

Glad to be home now and realised that I made an elementary mistake. The fact that I haven't been to the loo for about 7 hours suggests that I had let myself get a bit dehydrated, the temp was in the high 20's after lunch. I'm not confident enough to drink on the bike, need to make sure I stop and take on fluids more often in this sort of weather.

Not sure I'd want to travel in to Southampton to do this every year but certainly wouldn't rule out doing another at some stage.

Back from Southampton. A bit of drizzle initially on the journey in but that soon stopped and the cloud lifted as the day went on. We parked up about 4.5k from the actual circuit and the route in was well signposted (but not marshalled as advertised). I had to walk up a couple of hills, felt a bit green and wondered if I'd make a big mistake. Joined the circuit and found that it was flat and easy. Lots of familes with free-range kids on their little bikes so a bit of caution was needed - and we didn't feel that everyone was necessarily respecting that. Did 1.5 circuits and then stopped to look at the 'entertainment'. Saw Vicky P being interviewed and spotted Cunobelin's trike so had a chat with him (he was gallant enough to ignore the fact that I got his forum name wrong :blush: ). Completed the 2nd circuit and headed back to the car, stopping for something to eat and drink en route. Again had to walk a couple of hills on the way back and felt a bit disheartened.

The day was, on the whole, good humoured, lots of marshals around, we thanked as many as we could.

Glad to be home now and realised that I made an elementary mistake. The fact that I haven't been to the loo for about 7 hours suggests that I had let myself get a bit dehydrated, the temp was in the high 20's after lunch. I'm not confident enough to drink on the bike, need to make sure I stop and take on fluids more often in this sort of weather.

Not sure I'd want to travel in to Southampton to do this every year but certainly wouldn't rule out doing another at some stage.

That is the first time i have been called gallant !

I can only second this - - a good day out, and well organised

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

http://www.dailyecho...ts_at_Sky_Ride/

One "troll" so far. :biggrin:

Edit. My father and brother went. I decided to stay home and watch the last stage of Le Tour. ;) Couldnt miss that!

My favourite comment is this one:
How many had bells, lights and mudguards fitted, how many riders were not wearing any headgear? I don't ride my self but have no problem with anyone that does but only if they follow the rules.

Sailorchick

I had planned on taking part in Skyride Soton with my husband but a sailing event came up that got in the way. Certainly appeared busy enough as on the drive home to Soton passed lots of cyclist wearing Skyride hi-vis vests. Hopefully nothing will clash with next years one if it happens again so can join in.

ps Sorry to the mum and child riding in Woolston yesterday afternoon that my hubby pulled out of in front of who quite rightly shouted at him. He didn't get chance to get defensive as I think he was so shocked that I agreed she had rights to be shouting at him. After that little chat he was very quiet for next little while but made him think more. (He is also a cyclist so should no better). Thought I was in for a crap evening but I think he realised he was in the wrong and was fine.

stubbo66

I have to say I thought the Southampton Sky ride was excellent.

The last event I did this year was the BHF Round the Harbours ride which was on open roads, few marshals and the signposting was pretty dodgy in places (and it was 32 miles) but I managed to get my son around with me. Particularly liked having a little bit of off road to do around Hayling Island.

Back to the Sky Ride though, I managed to convince my Wife to come with me as well. The most she's managed to do is a mile or two round trip to the local shops before so I was very impressed with her. We rode in from Riverside Park, did a circuit then I left her to enjoy the entertainment while I put in another 3 loops before we returned home. Got my neighbours and their kids to come along too, so it was a lot of fun. GPS says I clocked up 30 miles in all and on closed roads which was great.

Only a few things marred it for me, and these can be improved in future.

There are obviously a lot of riders with different abilities, and the younger or less adept riders I felt were at risk to some extent by traffic on the Avenue rushing by the cones where everyone was encouraged to keep to the left (in harms way).

Also, the slowness of some meant that the faster riders had to do a lot of dodging and weaving which again is a little dangerous, so perhaps it could be better to keep the faster/more accomplished riders to one side of the course and the slower, more vulnerable riders to the other in future. All purely for the sake of safety and for no other reason than that.

I'm planning to do the New Forest Ride for Orchid Cancer Reaserch in September, you have to pay an admin fee, but they have three routes, 18 mile off road, and a 28 or 42 mile on road route to choose from. Weather may be getting a little more breezy/chillly by then but should be good none the less.

I hope the Sky Ride becomes a permanent fixture, we need more events like this. I need something more than the monotony of cycling on the local roads to keep me fit.

I know it wasn't funny (but I have a sick sense of humour)

At one point there was that typical slow motion peleton clash where one person stops abruptly and the following cyclists all cycle into the back of a stationary group and fall over slowly.

Then right from the front came this lune and very indignant small voice.

"But... Mummy - you TOLD me to stop!"

It just made me laugh.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That must have been hilarious as a bystander but so so so embarrassing as the parent. My daughter (the one with less road sense than the average 13 yo), stopped in the middle of the road with people coming up behind her - I pointed out where she had stopped and asked her to look at where I had stopped!!. However its a similar principle to driving on the road - you shouldn't be closer than the distance you can stop in and you should expect children to do strange things. I did think there were a couple lycra-clad cyclists who were treating it as a race.

Top Bottom