FNRttC Southend Ride Friday 10th March 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
After the quiet winter months there is at last the chance to enjoy the wonders of nocturnal two wheel adventures with friends and strangers.

The 2017 season is packed with rides to new and old destinations for your delight. The season opens in just under four weeks time with the Southend Ride on Friday 10th March 2017.

The Southend Ride like all London based Rides this year will be starting at the new Fridays Central which is now located under Waterloo Bridge on the Southbank next to the British Film Institute. We will then cross Westminster Bridge before following the Thames into the City and onwards and eastwards through East London and Essex.

The halfway stop once again will be the Services at Junction 31 which may not be great for food choice but offers space and warmth if the weather isn’t being kind. When we head back onto the road again we will heading north into the stunning Essex countryside before turning south towards Southend and breakfast. If the weather is against us we will take a more direct route instead.

Breakfast once again will be at Beaches Cafe bases on the beach with south facing views overlooking the pier and Thames Estuary.
To make things easier this year the following decisions have been made about participation and third party insurance.

Everyone needs to be a current member of the Fridays and paid their £2 subscription in advance even if this is your first or only ride with the Fridays this year.

The rules around third party insurance have been relaxed and as a club we are happy to accept third party insurance cover supplied through the membership of Cycling UK formally CTC, British Cycling and London Cycling Campaign. If your not a member of any of the above by being a member of The Fridays you can become an affiliated member of Cycling UK at a reduced cost to full membership and enjoy the majority of the benefits of full membership. If this is your first ride with the Fridays ever then things are even easier as our Ride Insurance will provide you with third party cover as ‘try before you buy ‘ for your first ride with us. After that we would expect you to become a member of one of the organisations above but would prefer you of course to join Cycling UK. For more details please visit the Fridays website.http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogspot.co.uk/p/welcome.html?m=1

If you fancy joining us for what should be an excellent nocturnal two wheeled adventure please use the following link to register your interest.https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...oi4s02rLwl9S8YMpl06ghZh35Lbw/viewform?c=0&w=1

Titus
Ride Leader

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Count me in

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
[QUOTE 4679488, member: 21629"]All done.

p.s. that terribly long foreign surname belongs to me.[/QUOTE]
Yay!
Which reminds me. You should teach me how to pronounce it some time!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Sorry, Stu, if I hadn't been to the spot many many times already (in both daylight and night time), I wouldn't find that Streetview link very helpful - those trucks are in the way! :ohmy:

I think this might be more accurately on the spot. And I hope the MAP on the website helps.
Must admit I didn't find that map terribly helpful- and I know that stretch of the south bank rather well myself. Upper Ground/Belvedere Road at least gets into the right neck of the woods. Hopefully the large group of people in lycra will be enough clue from there.

I'll assume the Victoria meet-up might well be replaced by a Waterloo one. Multiple food and drink options (pasties available....)
Full list here https://www.networkrail.co.uk/stations/waterloo/
Well, I'd not be expecting people who normally come into London on a Victoria train line* to suddenly be coming into Waterloo instead? Wouldn't meeting inside Waterloo station add quite a detour & delay for them?

*As I may well be on the night.

StuartG

slower but further
I'll assume the Victoria meet-up might well be replaced by a Waterloo one.
Waterloo don't do the true Sarf Stu. I wonder if the weather is not too awful any recidivists might gather at VIC/12 and do a ceremonial loop through HPC/WA and make a royal entrance from the north ... just to get the adrenaline runnin'

Top Bottom