1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soya Milk in coffee.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by red_tom, 15 Jan 2008.

1. red_tom

red_tom New Member

We tend to only have soya milk at home. (We're not totally non dairy, risotto needs butter and toast needs melted cheese :smile:). It's totally fine in tea but it can seperate and curdle when used in coffee xx(.

What I don't understand is how places like Pret a manager, Costa and (shudder) Starbucks manage to do soya milk coffees without this happening. I've tried heating the soya milk, putting the milk into the cup first and trying different brands of soya and coffee beans but the problem still happens.

Anyone any ideas?

2. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

http://www.veggieromance.com/f/34923

3. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Soya milk...xx(xx(xx(

4. radger

radger Über Member

A former colleague of mine had GranoVita soya milk in his coffee, and I don't remember it curdling. He used a different sort on his cereal (alpro).
    This was the strongest coffee known to humanity, from a filter machine rather than instant

5. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

I like Soya milk on its own (not many do!) but it's gross in coffee or tea!

6. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

In coffee shops the soya milk is heated with steam so it doesn't curdle, Soya Latte is pretty nice actually. I use Soya milk in porridge too and it is nice. Milk has to be normal milk and I generally have full milk at home with filter coffee.

7. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

all i can say is that it's a good job that lord of the teapot ain't a moderator xx(

8. Bokonon

Bokonon Über Member

Black coffee. No sugar. Anything else is wrong.

9. Trembler49

Trembler49 Veteran

You poor man, I bet you take cold showers too!!!!

10. Lord of the Teapot

Lord of the Teapot New Member

But I have the Tippex!!

Tippex.jpg

11. Bokonon

Bokonon Über Member

I'm slightly richer from not wasting money on unnecessary milk and sugar. I like your thinking on the cold showers - I could be saving even more from not heating my water:biggrin:.

12. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

I have had bad experiences with soya milk in tea as well as coffee. I used to share a house with someone who drank soya milk and I always assumed it separated out when it was a few days old - i.e. rather like cow's milk going off.

This put me off soya milk for years, but I have to say someone recently snuck some into a cup of tea they made for me, and I didn't notice the difference.

13. Joe

Joe Über Member

The truth!

Love soya milk on cereal but I can't get used to it in my porridge.

14. yoyo

yoyo Senior Member

I have recently been advised to remove dairy products from my diet. I find soya milk is better than cows' milk in porridge and I have successfully made cheese sauce with it. Coffee and tea are black in our house - thanks to sour milk in boarding school all those years ago!

15. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

I have been known to put baby Leo's left-over formula into my coffee if we've run out of milk...