Spa audax or Condor Fratello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
I think it's worth pointing out that the Condor bike builder does charge RRP on everything, such as £99 for Continental 4 season tyres! I'm sure if you actually spoke to Condor directly, you can negotiate and probably expand your options too.

TBH, I'd look at the Condor and probably build it up from the frame. The Spa is an interesting one, if it had a disc option I'd be very interested.

Tony.

The purple version of the 2015 Fratello looks lovely. If I were in the market for a new winter bike, I'd be seriously tempted by the disc version...

vickster

Legendary Member
I think it's worth pointing out that the Condor bike builder does charge RRP on everything, such as £99 for Continental 4 season tyres! I'm sure if you actually spoke to Condor directly, you can negotiate and probably expand your options too.
Precisely. Similar to negotiating a discount or free stuff in an LBS. You can't do that on the interweb unless you have a discount code

outlash

also available in orange
Just had a little play with the Condor bike builder, you can spec a disc Fratello with decent parts (Tiagra groupset, Askium one wheels and TRP spyre brakes) for less than a Genesis Equilibrium disc. So does that make the Fratello good value or the Genesis a little overpriced?

Tony.

vickster

Legendary Member
No idea, which is a better colour?

Which Equilibrium is it? The 10 with Tiagra? Can you build a Fratello with SRAM?

Cyclist33

View attachment 80740 I built up a Genesis Equilibrium 20 (2013 frame) to the exact spec (SRAM Rival) I wanted for less than £1500 (and probably with better wheels too, an expensive saddle, posh bartape). It has full mudguards and a rack (with P clips)

It's a lovely lovely thing (the gorgeous copper coloured frame helps of course :wub: ) and I'm as quick as it on my carbon road bike (not saying much as I'm not exactly quick :blush: )
It has fulcrum 5 wheels again now

What's the spec on the Condor. IF I was in the market for a Ti bike, I'd be talking to them , and quite possibly Spa...and Sabbath...and Kinesis (I love my British brands)...

Go to Harrogate and talk to Spa, also there's a Condor dealer in York I believe (although the basement of the Grays Inn Road store is a fantabuolus place)

My off the peg Jamis quest is still nicer! Especially in black.

Cyclist33

Saying that my lbs has an equilibrium in a dark navy blue with gold florid script decals and conti supersport 28mm tyres, it's a beaut, oversize steel tubes, about £1100 dunno what year as can't find it online.

outlash

also available in orange
No idea, which is a better colour?

Which Equilibrium is it? The 10 with Tiagra? Can you build a Fratello with SRAM?

Sorry, I should have mentioned it was the Eq 20. I believe you can build one with SRAM.

Tony.

Just had a little play with the Condor bike builder, you can spec a disc Fratello with decent parts (Tiagra groupset, Askium one wheels and TRP spyre brakes) for less than a Genesis Equilibrium disc. So does that make the Fratello good value or the Genesis a little overpriced?

Tony.
What does that come out at for the Fratello? I must be being dim as I can't get it to let me spec a Fratello with disc brakes for some reason. The spec you quote sounds very similar to the Eq Disc 10, which retails around £1,100, so I'd expect the Fratello with that spec to come in somewhere around that mark? I think the Eq Disc 10 possibly is a bit overpriced for the spec, but worth it for the looks and the fun factor!

That's what I have and it's not "dark navy" in the metal, nor does it have any gold script or 28mm tyres. The bike @Cyclist33 mentions sounds more like this in terms of the frame, but then this is clearly a very different bike
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/urban/bridge/smithfield

Cyclist33

Yeah and it definitely had Grand Sport tyres on it, from memory it had no discrete Genesis swatch on the downtube, just the logo imprinted on the frame paint.

outlash

also available in orange
What does that come out at for the Fratello? I must be being dim as I can't get it to let me spec a Fratello with disc brakes for some reason. The spec you quote sounds very similar to the Eq Disc 10, which retails around £1,100, so I'd expect the Fratello with that spec to come in somewhere around that mark? I think the Eq Disc 10 possibly is a bit overpriced for the spec, but worth it for the looks and the fun factor!

IIRC it came at around £1400, but they're charging RRP for tyres and a couple of other bits so a phonecall may reduce that. I imagine the Fratello to be a bit more expensive than the Genesis if you specced it with the same parts.
FWIW, the Genesis Smithfield is basically a flat barred Day One. Nice, but it's no speedster.

Tony.

StuartG

slower but further
I'd be reluctant to fit discs. They are great at stopping but I would be worried they might stop me getting home!

On a recent club ride one guy's spoke broke on the rear. When that happened on my Fratello you just open up the brakes and maybe adjust the neighbouring spokes to minimise the wobble. Then you can proceed with care. There is no 'letting out' with discs, just 'orrible graunchy noises. Luckily he was a near a station but if it happened in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night it might have been sad.

Or is there a solution?

Top Bottom