Spa Elan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solecyclist

Ive just logged into Spa cycles in Harrogate as im intrested in a titanium framed bike. Spa build a bike called the Elan. Its up for sale in the offers section at 1600 pounds its fitted with 105 throughout and comes with Hydraulic disc brakes. Its a cracking price to be honest and was wondering if anyone owns one and could advise me. With a small bike shop im wondering about after sales service as well as ive bought a bike through Canyon and ive had first hand experience online with non existant sales service. Never want to throgh that again. I see Ribble do an all-rounder titanium decked out in 105. Im bebating between the two. Any advice out there. Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Several owners
@Heltor Chasca @lane @Jenkins

If you look in the what bike section, you'll find some titanium bike discussions

I have a Sabbath AR1 from Spa. Looked at the Elan but decided the finishing on the Sabbath was superior enough to justify the extra. I went up from London to testride and check the bikes out. When spending that much, I wouldn't hesitate to do the same again and recommend to others (I drove but they're very close to a station

Can't complain about the service. Built and delivered quickly. I had an issue with the seat collar. Which led to the Ti seatpost getting scratched, returned and replaced without quibble

I can't think of anyone off hand who has the Ribble, don't know if they do the same in terms of testride and building to buyer spec (mine has SRAM, TRP Spyres as I don't like hydraulics, fugly hoods!)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
How tall are you as the Elan on offer is a 52cm, so not for big riders (probably up to 5'8)

tom73

Guru
one or two on here have a Ti from Ribble a search should soon bring them up. I've not heard of any issues they are having. I don't have one but have seen it up close they sure look good. You can spec to a point using the on line bikebuilder. I've found them to be fine service wise both online , on the phone and in person at the shop in Birmingham which is not fair from them station. The head office in Preston also has a show room and the staff are helpful though you'd need to drive as it's not close to town. They will let you have a ride round be it the park park. You can't at Birmingham but they will size you up on a test rig and talk you over what's the best set for you.

Guess it depends what you want it for not sure what the max wheel size is for Elan. The CRG has a wide range and take's 650's

vickster

Legendary Member
one or two on here have a Ti from Ribble a search should soon bring them up. I've not heard of any issues they are having. I don't have one but have seen it up close they sure look good. You can spec to a point using the on line bikebuilder. I've found them to be fine service wise both online , on the phone and in person at the shop in Birmingham which is not fair from them station. The head office in Preston also has a show room and the staff are helpful though you'd need to drive as it's not close to town. They will let you have a ride round be it the park park. You can't at Birmingham but they will size you up on a test rig and talk you over what's the best set for you.

Guess it depends what you want it for not sure what the max wheel size is for Elan. The CRG has a wide range and take's 650's
The Elan takes a 700c...you presumably mean min size?

Ribble 105 is £2300...that's getting into AR1 territory...or the right sized Elan with handbuilt wheels, Ti seatpost etc

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Oh thats what happens when you have someone ring you mid type and ask about wheels. :wacko:
I was thinking max tyre size CGR takes max 45mm or 47mm on 650's

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As per @tom73 - it depends on what you want the bike for. If it's for faster rides have a look at the Ribble in Shimano 105 spec on 700c wheels as the Elan is a bit heavy for a sprinter - it's more of a bike for longer, slower comfortable rides with a bit of light off road capability. At your height you'd probably be looking at the 54cm sized frame as @vickster suggests, but please take the time to visit Spa in Harrogate and have a test ride and disccuss any customisation of parts with them before dropping the £1600 on the bike. It's well worth your time and may stop you buying the wrong bike.

I think its @wonderloaf who has the Ribble CGR Ti on here who may be able to add more info on that bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh thats what happens when you have someone ring you mid type and ask about wheels. :wacko:
I was thinking max tyre size CGR takes max 45mm or 47mm on 650's
Depends what the OP wants in a ride...personally I can't imagine myself wanting more that a 32mm tyre on any bike :smile:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I don’t know how Spa manage such a great deal on the Elan. I went for the 105 triple and TRP cable discs and a set of H Son Plus with Dynamo.

I’ve had it nearly 2 years now and have over 6500km on it. Yesterday I was in a 250km Audax with over 3500m elevation. And I was comfy as a pig in a blanket. With working legs thanks to the granny ring.

lane

Veteran
Spa owner here. I have a 54 and am 5 11. As far as I am concerned it's a great bike for the riding I do. From another post standard now has in house carbon forks with alloy steerer whereas previously they had all carbon forks - but apparently I new forks have allowed a slightly more upright riding position if desired. Spa were good to deal with I imagine after sales service would be OK. Can only echo the advice go and test ride at Spa before deciding.

Top Bottom