Spa Elan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Hi @Solecyclist , as @Jenkins has mentioned upthread I am indeed the proud owner of a Ribble CGR Ti in Ultegra mechanical groupset guise. I used the Ribble Bikebuilder to spec mine last September and got it for £2300, seem to remember the 105 version would have been about £1900 so seems as though Ribble have increased prices quite considerably since then!

I specced mine with 40mm Schwalbe G-one tyres on 700c Mavic Aksiums for maximum comfort and light off roading duties and having now ridden about 1,000 miles can report the bike doesn't disappoint, the combination of big tyres and Ti frame iron out the bumps in the road quite nicely. I also wanted to be able fit a proper full set of mudguards which I can do as there is plenty of clearance in the frame. Another important point to me was a threaded bottom bracket (none of that press fit malarkey) for ease of servicing and replacement, again the CGR Ti scores here.

Regarding the Spa Elan that looks to be a a very good price, as long as Spa will honour the frame warranty and all the components are in tip-top condition. Would be the top of my shopping list if I was still looking, definitely worth a test ride if you can manage it.

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inside leg and find the Medium/55.5cm frame fits me perfectly. If you want more info just let me know.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I have had 35mm tyres on my Elan imagine it would take larger.
I've a spare set of wheels with 37-622 Vittoria Voyager Hyper tyres which fit even with the mudguards in place as sold.

OP
OP
S

Solecyclist

Thanks wonderloaf your a mine of information. Im riding a Canyon fitness bike but after 3 years im looking to ditch Aluminium for titanium. I was looking at the new ribble steel. In 105 but that came in at £1400 but for £1600 for a Spa Elan theres no contest. Im around Mansfield in Nottinghamshire. So i guess its up to Harrogate and lancashire for a nose around. Again thanks for your input

wonderloaf

Veteran
Thanks wonderloaf your a mine of information. Im riding a Canyon fitness bike but after 3 years im looking to ditch Aluminium for titanium. I was looking at the new ribble steel. In 105 but that came in at £1400 but for £1600 for a Spa Elan theres no contest. Im around Mansfield in Nottinghamshire. So i guess its up to Harrogate and lancashire for a nose around. Again thanks for your input
Glad to help, hope all goes well at Spa!

Spa owner here. I have a 54 and am 5 11. As far as I am concerned it's a great bike for the riding I do. From another post standard now has in house carbon forks with alloy steerer whereas previously they had all carbon forks - but apparently I new forks have allowed a slightly more upright riding position if desired. Spa were good to deal with I imagine after sales service would be OK. Can only echo the advice go and test ride at Spa before deciding.

Hi lane,

Can I ask what inside leg you are / BB centre to saddle-top? Same height as you, but pondering between a 54-56 as I have a long inside leg (34 anatomical / approx 78cm Bottom Bracket centre to saddle-top).

How is the reach for you on the 54? And any chance of a photo of your set-up?

Cheers

Top Bottom