Space grip/ Bar Xtender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At this time of year my bars are slightly cluttered , rather than ditching the light I thought about one of those space grip/ Bar xtender things. I've found these: topeak and Minoura sg1 and sg2. What do people think of them (I've heard the minoura's aren't up to much) and their any others I should be considering ?

Thanks

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
not seen these before but, if reviews are good, think I may well be tempted, think they could turn my butterfly bars into an even more beautiful creation:biggrin:

I have used the Spacegrips extensively and once fitted they are excellent, although fitting can be fiddly.

The one to avoid is the "Minoura Swinggrip" which has a tab which breaks all too easily

Bodhbh

Guru
I've got the Minoura SG1. It's okay, but when I had the big clunky Cateye (the one about 2" wide at the front) light on it it wobbled a bit at times, so might depend how much weight goes on there.

iirc it got trashed in a previous thread because there was some confusion between 2 different Minoura extenders?

Plax

Guru
Don't bother with the silver one that says spacegrip on. I briefly had one before the arm snapped off.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
ilovebikes said:
one wonders how many things you could have need for on your bars?
Not much, that's one draw back of the bars on my ridgeback commuter: reflector, 2 front lights computer and a mini bell. I got an ATC 5K for Christmas and want to fit that to the wider section of the bars. The road bikes just have computers and sometimes lights.

Thanks all, I've decided to go with the Topeak.

Just to clarify

Space Grip

minoura%20sg2%2003.jpg

Swing Grip

SwingGrip.jpg

The problem is the fact that the bar is held by a small tab on the swing, and it is this tab that stress fractures from the weight of the lights.The bar on the space grip the bar is firmly attached to the body.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
The space grip is made of cheese and is without doubt the most useless and crap piece of cycle accessory I have ever bought.

Plax

Guru
Cunobelin said:
Just to clarify

Space Grip

minoura%20sg2%2003.jpg

Swing Grip

SwingGrip.jpg

The problem is the fact that the bar is held by a small tab on the swing, and it is this tab that stress fractures from the weight of the lights.The bar on the space grip the bar is firmly attached to the body.

The swing grip is the one I had. Total crap, snapped off. The spacegrip looks a lot better.

Top Bottom