Space grip/ Bar Xtender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
The space grip is made of cheese and is without doubt the most useless and crap piece of cycle accessory I have ever bought.
It seems tough enough to do the job as long as you don't go overboard putting heavy lights on it, but I know what you mean. It sticks out from the bike and it's T shape makes it a ripe target to get snagged. I use one on my tourer to clear the barbag and it's not particularly unusual for it to caught when putting the bike on buses and trains, or leaning it under stuff. Sooner or later I think it is gonna get ripped off.

It's a shame there's not something bombproof around bulk up the handlebar space, like a 'U' shaped piece of handlebar tubing which clamps on ala barends. When the bartape wears out or the thing actually does shear off, will probably have a go at bodging something with a couple of barends and a sawn off bit of flatbar and see how it goes.

yello

I'm another that thinks the swing grip is total crap.

To be honest, I'm not entirely convinced of them as an answer either. I mean, they take up space to provide slightly more space. I'm sure there's a better solution waiting to be designed.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
HLaB said:
At this time of year my bars are slightly cluttered , rather than ditching the light I thought about one of those space grip/ Bar xtender things. I've found these: topeak and Minoura sg1 and sg2. What do people think of them (I've heard the minoura's aren't up to much) and their any others I should be considering ?

Thanks
I'm liking the look of the Topeak one... anyone know if it's easy to take off/put on reasonably quickly? ;)

RSV_Ecosse

amrushton said:
Had 2 x space grips - money wasted. Thre is another thing 'Lenkercockpit' which might work

http://www.quelle.de/cgi/kooperatio...9&sku=G008008007682&stat=MTL221828&refpid=one

That looks like a BLT Space Shuttle mount to me :-

00008133.jpg

I've got one on my bike with a Tesco Cree AA on the top and a Revolution LED light on the bottom. Works superbly.

I will be adding another one on the other side of the bars and duplicating the setup. I'll grab a pic in a 'mo.

RSV_Ecosse

As you can see, even with clip on tri-bars there's still plenty of room :-

resized1.jpg

resized2.jpg

resized3.jpg

The mount that currently holds the other Tesco Cree AA was a cheap 360 deg variable one I got on eBay from China. Works fine but I will defo be adding another BLT spaceShuttle mount to that side to replace it and sticking another Revolution LED like the other one, underneath it.

I've got the AA Cree's angled so they light up the road further ahead and the Revolution LED pointing slightly downwards so it lights up the road immediately in front of you. Seems like a good combo and so far its working well.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
HLaB said:
I opted for Topeak one; it came today, I've not had time to fit it yet but it looks quite simple but secure. The top half is removed with a 4mm allen key to access the fixing bolt (another 4mm).
When you get a mo, HLaB, can you let us know if the following is poss?
The "base" of it can stay attached to handlebars
The rest of it can be (reasonably easily) detached with allen key, with lights (or whatever) still attached? That would suit what I'm looking for poifectly ;) Cheers

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Fnaar said:
When you get a mo, HLaB, can you let us know if the following is poss?
The "base" of it can stay attached to handlebars
The rest of it can be (reasonably easily) detached with allen key, with lights (or whatever) still attached? That would suit what I'm looking for poifectly ;) Cheers
From looking at it and taking it apart in my hands I'd think yes you could detach the upper half and leave the base attached to the bars.

yello

The need I had for one was to get lights clear of a bar bag. So what might have worked for me was a way of fixing lights TO the bar bag instead!

As an experiment, I got the misses to make a velcro harness for one of my lights (a Trelock LS600) and that worked okay, fixing the light to the map holder, but it didn't hold the light solidly. I needed something more secure and generic, i.e. for all lights.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
HLaB said:
I opted for Topeak one; it came today, I've not had time to fit it yet but it looks quite simple but secure. The top half is removed with a 4mm allen key to access the fixing bolt (another 4mm).
Got mine, fitted it... yet to use it "for real", but looks like a top piece of kit. Just what I was looking for... :smile:

Cromcruaich

RSV_Ecosse said:
...ards so it lights up the road immediately in front of you. Seems like a good combo and so far its working well. ...

Wow looks impressive, like the control centre of a plane. I'm itching to spend some money on gadgets now.

Top Bottom