Spacer query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Hi, just looking at my headset. This is how it was set up after my bike fit however I’m not sure if the bars should be above all the spacers. Does this look ok?
If not I will swap a spacer above or flip the stem and drop it a bit as to get a similar postion

DiggyGun

Hi, just looking at my headset. This is how it was set up after my bike fit however I’m not sure if the bars should be above all the spacers. Does this look ok?
If not I will swap a spacer above or flip the stem and drop it a bit as to get a similar postion
According to Park Tools, that is OK.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The bike fit will have established the correct level for yours bars. Their position is more important than having a spacer above the stem: as @DiggyGun and Park Tools have said. Think how much you paid for the fit!
There are two ways to adjust the height: flipping the stem and swapping the spacers above the stem.
If your stem is 100mm and a 7 degree angle, flipping it would move the bars 24mm higher. So to keep the bars in the same place you'd have to swap 5x5mm spacers up: this would not look neat and for what benefit? I'm with @Spiderweb

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's fine as it is, but ideally you'd have a spacer as you are moving where the clamp load is, and results in less torque needed. Its mainly to stop ham fistedness.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Bit simplistic, @Cycleops . Smacks of a slammed stem fetish. The OP may need the reach that frame offers but is not comfortable with shoulders lower down and/or with closing their hip angle.

presta

Guru
I'd like to meet the man who designed the threadless headset system and shake him warmly by the nuts. Anyone who thinks that sawing off the steerer is an acceptable way to lower the bars, and bodging with an extender an acceptable way to raise them is barking mad. If my frame ever needed replacing I'd buy second hand rather than get lumbered with threadless.

Good afternoon,

its a bit hard to be sure from the photo but I think that I would be concerned by the location of the upper bolt in relation to the top of the steerer.

My worry would be that there could be sufficient compression/relaxation around the vertical expansion gap in stem to loosen that bolt over time.

Bye

Ian

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
Dan - take an appropriate amount of notice of the observations above ref inadequate gaps. See how well your image compares with Park Tools' image with the tick. @fossyant has suggested the ideal but yours is fine.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'd like to meet the man who designed the threadless headset system and shake him warmly by the nuts. Anyone who thinks that sawing off the steerer is an acceptable way to lower the bars, and bodging with an extender an acceptable way to raise them is barking mad. If my frame ever needed replacing I'd buy second hand rather than get lumbered with threadless.
I disagree. One of the best innovations in the time I've been cycling, simple to fit and adjust.

Quill stems have an extremely limited amount of adjustment too, it is all down to making sure you get a bike that fits to begin with.

Top Bottom