Spacer washers and cogs - none, one or both?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I purchased a Gipiemme Pista rear wheel from px and it can with a lockring and two spacers, one a little wider and flatter. I have put the cog on, and they both fit before applying the lockring...

Is that me done then? I can't fully comprehend what you need them for.

simon.r

Person
Are the spacers to allow you to adjust the chainline?

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
Are the spacers to allow you to adjust the chainline?
Possibly.?I don't really know... if it's off, I will definitely look into that.

It seemed strange that they were different sizes. Also my old wheel had a little spacer between cog and lockring, so I assumed this wasn't uncommon. Maybe the small one spaces (as it makes contact with the tapered part of the cog) and the big one prevents the lockring binding to the cog?

Edit: if that's correct, I'm quite proud of myself given the clue. If not, I suffer terribly from hubris.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
I've never come across a spacer on a fixed before, but could be for alignment if being used on a non track frame?
Have you asked planet x?

Don't think a lock ring would bind to the sprocket as they use opposite threads, so the normal force on the pedals will move the sprocket away from the lock ring.
When fitting lock rings, I only ever tighten by hand and when I come to change the sprocket can usually undo the lock ring by hand as well. The lock ring is only active under severe back pedalling when the opposite threads will cause them both to come together and prevent the sprocket from coming off.

Top Bottom