Spag bol.....what are your 'must have' additions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Is that her "How to Cook" volume published in the mid-ish 70s? Novel sized, hardback, about 2 inches thick?

If so, I have a copy too. ^_^ Love her recipe for Eggs Florentine :hungry:
It's this slightly battered and smeared offering.....

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Spot on! I still use her ragu recipe. Here it is.......

View attachment 595901

I add a few cut-up up ancshovy fillets.

Cheeky!!

Last edited:

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Pancetta wasn't readily available in the UK in the 70's so cooks like Delia used alternatives like chicken liver.

Well yes, but slag bol is the equivalent of chicken tikka masala in relation to Indian cuisine. Pointless aiming at any kind of erstaz authenticity, so i'd stick with the richness of chicken livers.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Delia Smith is 80. Sobering.

Mind you, Queen Hairy Berry's age will have to be determined by dendrochronology after her demise.

...and why has Delia only got a CBE Vs Berry's DBE. I know who I think has been the more influential

Last edited:
Delia Smith is 80. Sobering.

Mind you, Queen Hairy Berry's age will have to be determined by dendrochronology after her demise.

...and why has Delia only got a CBE Vs Berry's DBE. I know who I think has been the more influential
Delia by a mile. "The Delia effect" is a thing

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2003/jan/20/bbc.broadcasting

Don't disagree, but we tend not to ennoble posthumously!

Alas not... Marguerite Patten only has an OBE...

And never mind all the work she did for the Ministry of Food during WW2. I have her wartime cook books (modern reprints thereof) and yes, I do use them.

Her mock marmalade is lovely - it's really an apple jam flavoured with orange peel. Sweeter than marmalade, but very nice on toast regardless.

Top Bottom