spain..rent or buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Buying a place to live in Spain is not necessarily all doom and gloom. My sister in law moved there about 12 years ago, bought right away and has likely doubled her money. That's in a big city though and in an area which has rapidly gentrified and not in an isolated ex-pat enclave.

Looks like a great country to live.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
If I was going to go, I wouldn't go anywhere near the English expat enclaves, I'd go to Barcelona and get an appartment in the old town. Just a fabulous city, full of the contradictions that make cities great, but one which you can get out of fairly easily, great local wine, and fairly close to the Pyrennes...

MarkF

Guru
If I was going to go, I wouldn't go anywhere near the English expat enclaves, I'd go to Barcelona and get an appartment in the old town. Just a fabulous city, full of the contradictions that make cities great, but one which you can get out of fairly easily, great local wine, and fairly close to the Pyrennes...

They might not all be Brits but you can't move for touists in the old town and Las Ramblas is as downbeat as Blackpool Prom.

Did you check about the west cost of Andalucia? I live in a place called El Rompido and there is a real estate agency here run out by brits. If you are interested I can provide with a phone number or web address I think. There are another British community in a little village near here called Villablanca too. There are some families there with kids attending the local school too, as far as I know. Hope to be helpful.

Reefcat

Did you check about the west cost of Andalucia? I live in a place called El Rompido and there is a real estate agency here run out by brits. If you are interested I can provide with a phone number or web address I think. There are another British community in a little village near here called Villablanca too. There are some families there with kids attending the local school too, as far as I know. Hope to be helpful.

Lovely part of the world, right on the border with Portugal. I lived just over the river on the Portuguese side, the far east of the Algarve.

MarkF

Guru
[QUOTE 4092909, member: 259"]I worked in Barcelona for afew months and the old town is packed out with resident expats, but more Germans and scandis than Brits. But the food shops are often really nice, and there is a Decathlon right between the Gothic quarter and the Ramblas![/QUOTE]

I lived in Badalona next door, BCN is tourist money driven and becoming a theme park, if you can read Spanish/Catalan there is an obvious and enormous street art backlash against this. It's a fantastic city but I'd rather live in a "normal" place Valencia/Malaga/Seville etc

The Decathlon is great, they gave me boxes to fly back, Green Bikes wanted to charge 15 euros to pack, no DIY!

ELL

Über Member
I have a little aprrtment in Torrevieja. There are some lovely parts and prices are pretty cheap at the moment. I would say buy because prices can't drop anymore. You are then earning a little on you investment rather than wasting the money renting.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="Tin Pot, post: 4090862, member: 33167"

I realise old people need less stimulus but, there you go.
.[/QUOTE]

My in laws are in their early 80s and I doubt if you would keep up with them. What with cycling clubs, bowling, rambling, shooting, coffee mornings, numerous charities, grand children etc. Dad says that Sundays are his only day off.

I stayed on a small Holding in France last year with a couple in their 70s. They started at 6 am and finished at 8pm, every day.

Old people need more stimulus, not less. Less stimulus is how you get old.

Daryn

I would say rent, maybe visit a few places off season to see if its still for them. We have been going to Majorca for years, we tried winter breaks over their and although sometimes we have been lucky with the weather other times we havent and it just wasnt the same.

If I were to live in Spain all year round it would be Alicante / Benidorm area as it still has a bit of life off season or better still head for the Canaries.
A forum for these areas is the best thing to use. I own a Majorca forum but we dont have many expats on there just peeps that love to holiday there but Im also a member of a greay Tenerife forum that has lots of expats chatting every day, I joined it when we going on holiday I even rented a place from one of them which was spot on in a fantastic area. I got lots of help before we visited the Island, lots of tips. I can let you know the links if your interested

Top Bottom