spain..rent or buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Who's going to say it?

Say what? That they WILL get old and unwell and they WILL want to come home. Anybody who invests all their money in property in Spain (or anywhere else outside the UK for that matter) is stark staring bonkers. The TV has been full of documentaries about people who are caught in the trap and can't come home. I have friends who went to Antigua following a dream 25 years ago and are stuck there and desperate as they've got nothing in the UK.

Rent in Spain and keep the house here, rent it out and let an agent look after it.

You must be joking. I have lived in Denmark for the past 13 years and Germany for eight years before that. There is no way I would ever move back to the UK. Too many people, too much traffic and a government who keeps throwing money at anyone, as long as they are not British.

I have a far better standard of living in Denmark than I did in the UK. I am governed by a goverment who knows how to look after and spend money correctly, regardless of which party is in power. A government that will welcome outsiders. But makes it clear that Denmark belongs to the Danes. You are welcome to come and live here but the Danes makes the rules. If you dont like them you are free to leave. If you abuse them, they throw you out.

What do I miss about the UK. Fish and chips. End of story. I only ever go to the UK to buy a motorbike and I cant wait to leave again.

I like being British but wouldnt live there.

No disrespect.

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 4090816, member: 259"]They'd get their UK pension paid there presumably?[/QUOTE]

Which is how much?

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 4090825, member: 259"]I haven't a clue, sorry![/QUOTE]

Then how the hell can you properly help then without knowing what they can afford:rolleyes:

Tin Pot

Guru
I've lived for around four months a couple of times as a teenager in the Algarve. Months one to three were great, month four...not so much. Came back.

I realise old people need less stimulus but, there you go. All the expats I met, both times, didn't necessarily regret moving out but all complained about dentistry, medicine, local government, what "the locals" did...all the stuff we never give a thought to in the uk.

Plus, property in Spain isn't so much an investment as a liability. Make sure they know that anything they know about uk property will completely misdirect them over there. It's more like buying a secondhand car than British property.

France would be my bet for a foreign home.

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 4090849, member: 259"]I'm not helping anyone, but they would have an income.. For what it's worth I've lived in Terra incognita for about 30 years and we do have running water and basic medication. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Apols for the curt reply, that was unnecessary.

But they need to do their sums and weigh up the pros and cons of here vs Spain. Think of things like:

rental prices
food & every day prices
prices of doing any hobbies
exchange rate volatility
income remaining if one dies
any inheritance planning

It's important to check the ingeritance rules. If Spain is similar to France in inheritance laws then any proceeds of wealth upon death are split between dependants AND (if remarried) surviving spouse and not left 100% with the surviving spouse

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
There going to rent..their finances are their concern...
they will have money from the house sale and both have a pension plus state pension..
they should be fine on living costs as they only have frugal needs..bar a beer and a odd meal out..
if it happens..which i suspect it will as the lady is determined to go..their both early 70's and i say good for them..but they may find its not for them after trying..?

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 4090895, member: 259"]If they are that old they'd be daft as a brush if they bought something.[/QUOTE]

yes ,my thoughts exactly..

MarkF

Guru
There going to rent..their finances are their concern...
they will have money from the house sale and both have a pension plus state pension..
they should be fine on living costs as they only have frugal needs..bar a beer and a odd meal out..
if it happens..which i suspect it will as the lady is determined to go..their both early 70's and i say good for them..but they may find its not for them after trying..?

Yeah, good for them, encourage them to go.................and rent.

MIL and her partner live in Pedragalejo, coastal suburb just north of Malaga and they do so on just their state pensions. They cycle into Malaga for their shopping to keep fit, nice ride along the prom! I wouldn't say they lived frugally, they enjoy themselves but it's pretty easy to do so if you don't have loans, contracts or a car and value "time" together over "stuff".

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yes they will i hope @Tin Pot @MarkF ..
and they do like to cycle to the local and are happy with 3,5 miles..and they both like it warm..
whether i go and vist i dont know as ill need a new passport and hate flying..lol
i could cycle..i spose

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 4091322, member: 43827"]That's the trouble with the bloody EU. Unlimited immigration rights for citizens to move where they want just for a better life, moving into a country without so much as a by-your-leave, living in little national enclaves, not learning the language, expecting to benefit from health and social services.

Oh, sorry, that's just people coming into the UK. according to Farage.[/QUOTE]

wrong thread bud...

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 4091542, member: 43827"]It was meant as a light-hearted comment rather than any political statement. Sorry if it came over as political. I try to avoid the S, C & P forum.

Personally I've always had a hankering to buy a place in Italy, but my wife actually likes the UK climate and with an elderly and infirm father living nearby I couldn't bring myself to do it.[/QUOTE]

i know..:okay:

Top Bottom